5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Rousseau puts the imagination to the forefront. He says its good.
- Authenticity - "I am me" in the romanticism.
- Why is this story historically relevant?
- Rousseau - up until this point, we haven't had writing like Rousseau's Confessions. How did this work alter the course of history?
- Rousseau proclaims -
- a Because this was ridiculously radical at the time of when this was written. He says that if one is self-aware, one can earn salvation.
- b Rousseau says "There is no one else in the world like me. I am unique." Where does this uniqueness come from? Focus on the individual.
- c He will be completely honest, he is unique. While he claims to be the most unique individual, he states that he must be true to yourself.
- d He claims to be radically honest. In the sixth book, he fears Hell. He wonders if he'll go. He throws the rock at the tree--he's SAVED. Homework - really read/carefully read.
- e Augustine vs. Rousseau - Augustine views his life experience as something that's important to look back on.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- local/individual - Rousseau is almost the head of the romanticism.
- Section on individualism. Nature. Read.
- Can learn from mistakes, be who God made you. Try to imitate Christ. Innocent. No two-face.
- In the Enlightenment, there is reason = knowledge. In the Enlightenment we have the community.
- He insists on his uniqueness: "I am made unlike any one I have ever met..." (497).
5 True/False Questions
In the Romanticism, individual fulfillment is the focus. → Other cultures have more community focus and orientation than a Western culture.
How does Rousseau exemplify the dominant values of his time period? → Rousseau also may use it and say, "Here's everything I've done, good or bad."
Augustine proclaims and repents. Rousseau proclaims and revels in his confession - he becomes arrogant about it stating that this would be his ticket into heaven. → Rousseau says that the feelings are of the type one needs to fully engage in.
Would you know whether today is important or not? You may guess that certain events are important or not. → Autobiographies give the author an opportunity to go back over their lives. Augustine writes about he was running from God. He fathered a child out of wedlock. Riches. In learning, knowledge, philosophy -traveling, fleeing from his mother. Augustine's a brilliant man, but Rousseau is similar. He is also brilliant.
Tradition still anchored experience back in the Enlightenment. Then, the ideal of joyous liberation from this experience was important: a child has superior insight because they are innocent. → New and Old - mischaracterize the American Revolution - not caused by the romantic movement. There are political implications. Democracy > Hierarchy. Before there was this sense of place.