5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Powders are how many times more concentrated than raw herbs?
- Pills (Wan) are made how?
- Will soaking herbs a few hours before boiling them make them more effective?
- For most dry plant matter what is the best proof of alcohol to use?
- Pale face, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea, epigastric and abdominal pain, patient prefers heat, no appetite, aching limbs, pulse is tense and tongue has white coat are symptoms of what?
- a yes
- b excess cold that invades the middle jiao disrupting T&T in stomach and spleen.
- c by combining herb powder with a binding agent like honey
- d 80 proof (like vodka or rum)
- e 5 times (also more easily absorbed and stored; used for chronic issues)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- deficiency cold caused by yang deficiency.
- salt, honey, vinegar, wine, ginger
- 30 grams
- Damp Bi (pain is heavy, fixed and swelling of joint)
5 True/False Questions
Why do we cover the herb completely with the solvent? → one hour after a meal
What is the nature and channel of interior warming herbs? → Nature: pungent and warm
Channel: Spleen and kidney
Interior warming herbs do what? → an extraction of herbal ingredients using a solvent
How do you prepare a decoction? → place herbs into pot, cover with water ( if boiling for 30 min or longer add more water about an inch above), after water boils vigorously turn to simmer, stir frequently, after simmer for allotted time strain and drink.
What is the nature and function of Wei Ling Xian (Rx. Clematidis)? → Nature: pungent and hot
Functions: warms the spleen and kidney yang; warms the channels and dispels cold. (powerful pain reliever & tx for chronic diarrhea)