5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Heat Bi:
- What are the function and contraindications of antirheumatic herbs?
- Antirheumatics treat what?
- What are the 2 types of interior cold syndrome?
- If your prescription is to tonify or enrich the body when would you take the decoction?
- a on an empty stomach or 1 hour before a meal
- b pain with burning sensation, redness and swelling of joints, impaired movement and pain is relieved by cold; tx clear heat, dispel wind, and resove damp
- c pain, numbness, swollen joints, heavy sensation of 4 limbs, and difficulty bending and stretching (Bi syndrome)
- d 1. excess cold that invades the middle jiao disrupting the T&T function of spleen and stomach.
2. deficiency cold caused by yang deficiency.
- e function: dispel wind, cold, damp from channels.
they can deplete yin and blood, so careful when deficient
5 Multiple choice questions
- can injure the yin body fluids; use with caution in patients deficient of yin , blood, or body fluids.
- water, oil, glycerin, vinegar or alcohol.
- helps herb alleviate pain, clear blockage from channels and collaterals, and dispel wind.
- can involve any of lg joints; may come with fever and chills in early stage; diaphortics are tx for wind bi.
- deficiency cold caused by yang deficiency.
5 True/False questions
1 Qian is equal to? → 30 grams
Antirheumatic herbs work on 3 levels of the body? (often Bi syndrome can affect more than one level) → 1. superficial muscle layer
2. channel layer
3. tendon and bone layer
1 Liang is equal to? → 3 grams
What is the nature and function of Wei Ling Xian (Rx. Clematidis)? → Nature: pungent, salty and warm
function: unblocks the channels, relieves pain, and dispels wind/cold/damp; dissolves fish bones in throat
What happens when dry frying with vinegar? → enhance herbs ability to warm stomach and stop vomiting