5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- For most dry plant matter what is the best proof of alcohol to use?
- How do you prepare a tincture?
- How do you make syrup?
- Why do we cover the herb completely with the solvent?
- What is the nature and function of Wei Ling Xian (Rx. Clematidis)?
- a to prevent spoilage
- b 80 proof (like vodka or rum)
- c put herbs into a glass container, slowly cover herbs with solvent entirely, add an inch or 2 more solvent, seal jar tightly and store in dark place, shake jar daily, when ready pour thru cheesecloth into dark tincutre bottle, squeeze herbs till last drop store with label and lid.
- d dissolve 3lbs of brown sugar in a pint of boiling water and boil to thick. (there're 2 other ways too)
- e Nature: pungent, salty and warm
function: unblocks the channels, relieves pain, and dispels wind/cold/damp; dissolves fish bones in throat
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- warming body and re-ignites ming men fire.
- function: dispel wind, cold, damp from channels.
they can deplete yin and blood, so careful when deficient
- decoction (Tang)
- salt, honey, vinegar, wine, ginger
- severe fixed pain made worse by cold and relieved by heat; joints are cold to touch; tx involves warming meridians and dispelling wind/cold/damp.
5 True/False Questions
If cold predominates it's called? → Cold Bi (the pain is severe and aching)
Heat Bi: → pain with burning sensation, redness and swelling of joints, impaired movement and pain is relieved by cold; tx clear heat, dispel wind, and resove damp
Wei Ling Xian (Rx. Clematidis)? → antirheumatic herb and powerful pain reliever
Antirheumatic herbs work on 3 levels of the body? (often Bi syndrome can affect more than one level) → yes
Damp Bi: → numbness and fixed pain in joint with swelling and difficulty stretching; tx involves transforming damp and strengthening spleen