5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Antirheumatics treat what?
- Often chinese herbs are dry fried for?
- Will soaking herbs a few hours before boiling them make them more effective?
- What are cinnamon sticks good for?
- What is the nature of antirheumatic herbs and how are they taken?
- a pain, numbness, swollen joints, heavy sensation of 4 limbs, and difficulty bending and stretching (Bi syndrome)
- b yes
- c warming body and re-ignites ming men fire.
- d storage; to increase spleen awakening and stomach strengthening of herb
- e nature: pungent and warm
taken as a tonic (alcohol inproves circulation of qi and blood)
5 Multiple choice questions
- directs action of herb to kidney
- Wind Bi (there will be migratory arthralgia where the pain tends to move around)
- numbness and fixed pain in joint with swelling and difficulty stretching; tx involves transforming damp and strengthening spleen
- Nature: pungent and hot
Functions: warms the spleen and kidney yang; warms the channels and dispels cold. (powerful pain reliever & tx for chronic diarrhea)
- place herbs into pot, cover with water ( if boiling for 30 min or longer add more water about an inch above), after water boils vigorously turn to simmer, stir frequently, after simmer for allotted time strain and drink.
5 True/False questions
What causes Bi syndrome? → wind, cold, and damp that stagnate in the channels and causes arthralgia (joint pain).
How does one take a powder (San)? → place herbs into pot, cover with water ( if boiling for 30 min or longer add more water about an inch above), after water boils vigorously turn to simmer, stir frequently, after simmer for allotted time strain and drink.
How do you make syrup? → put herbs into a glass container, slowly cover herbs with solvent entirely, add an inch or 2 more solvent, seal jar tightly and store in dark place, shake jar daily, when ready pour thru cheesecloth into dark tincutre bottle, squeeze herbs till last drop store with label and lid.
Antirheumatic herbs work on 3 levels of the body? (often Bi syndrome can affect more than one level) → 1. superficial muscle layer
2. channel layer
3. tendon and bone layer
What are the contraindictaions of interior warming herbs? → Nature: pungent and warm
Channel: Spleen and kidney