5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Benthic Zone
- Pelagic Zone
- Bathyal Zone
- a Begins at the continental slope and extends to a depth of 4,000 meters.
animals that live there: octopi, sea stars, and brachiopods.
- b The region of an ocean or body of fresh water above the benthic zone.
- c The bottom region of oceans and bodies of fresh water.
- d A process of removing salt from ocean water.
- e Potato-shaped lumps of minerals that are found on the abyssal floor of the ocean.
5 Multiple choice questions
- All organisms that swim actively in open water, independent of currents
- A measure of the amount of dissolved salts in a given amount of liquid. It can be written as salinity = 35 parts per thousand, or 35%.
- Dissolved solids that make up about 3.5% of the mass of ocean water. These dissolved solids give the ocean its salty taste.
- The shallow benthic zone that most organisms live in; located on the continental shelves and is populated by organisms such as sea stars, brittle stars, and sea lilies.
- A popular method for desalinating ocean water. It includes the use of special membranes that allow water under high pressure to pass through and that block the dissolved salts.
5 True/False questions
Aquaculture → The raising of aquatic plants and animals for human use or consumption.
Neritic Zone → The bottom region of oceans and bodies of fresh water.
Upwelling → A method of desalination where water is frozen. Then the first ice crystals that form do not contain salt. The ice can be removed and melted to obtain fresh water.
Freezing → The movement of deep, cold, and nutrient-rich water to the surface.
Oceanic Zone → Extends into the deep waters beyond the continental shelf.