5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Sublittoral Zone
- Pack Ice
- a A layer in a body of water in which water temperature drops with increased depth faster than it does in other layers.
- b A floating layer of sea ice that completely covers an area of the ocean surface.
- c Potato-shaped lumps of minerals that are found on the abyssal floor of the ocean.
- d The shallow benthic zone that most organisms live in; located on the continental shelves and is populated by organisms such as sea stars, brittle stars, and sea lilies.
- e The raising of aquatic plants and animals for human use or consumption.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A method of desalination where water is frozen. Then the first ice crystals that form do not contain salt. The ice can be removed and melted to obtain fresh water.
- Begins at the continental slope and extends to a depth of 4,000 meters.
animals that live there: octopi, sea stars, and brachiopods.
- The ratio of the mass of a substance to the volume of the substance; commonly expressed as grams per cubic centimeter for solids and liquids and as grams per liter for gases.
- A process of removing salt from ocean water.
- Extends into the deep waters beyond the continental shelf.
5 True/False Questions
Benthos → All organisms that swim actively in open water, independent of currents
Abyssal Zone → Has no sunlight because it begins at a depth of 4,000 meters and extends to a depth of 6,000 meters.
organisms that live there: sponges and worms
Upwelling → The movement of deep, cold, and nutrient-rich water to the surface.
Distillation → A process of removing salt from ocean water.
Trace Elements → Elements that exist in very small amounts.
ex: gold, zinc, and phosphorus.