5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Oceanic Zone
- Neritic Zone
- Trace Elements
- a Extends into the deep waters beyond the continental shelf.
- b A measure of the amount of dissolved salts in a given amount of liquid. It can be written as salinity = 35 parts per thousand, or 35%.
- c Microscopic plants in the ocean that provide food to many of the ocean's organisms.
- d Elements that exist in very small amounts.
ex: gold, zinc, and phosphorus.
- e The area of the pelagic zone above the continental shelves. Has abundant sunlight, moderate temperatures, and relatively low water pressure.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A method of desalination where ocean water is heated to remove salt. Heat causes liquid water to evaporate and leave dissolved salts behind. When the water vapor condenses, the result is pure fresh water.
- The bottom region of oceans and bodies of fresh water.
- A popular method for desalinating ocean water. It includes the use of special membranes that allow water under high pressure to pass through and that block the dissolved salts.
- Potato-shaped lumps of minerals that are found on the abyssal floor of the ocean.
- All organisms that swim actively in open water, independent of currents
5 True/False Questions
Benthos → Organisms that live at the bottom of oceans or bodies of fresh water.
Bathyal Zone → The bottom region of oceans and bodies of fresh water.
Pack Ice → A floating layer of sea ice that completely covers an area of the ocean surface.
Freezing → A method of desalination where water is frozen. Then the first ice crystals that form do not contain salt. The ice can be removed and melted to obtain fresh water.
Plankton → The mass of mostly microscopic organisms that float or drift freely in the waters of aquatic (freshwater and marine) environments.