BS (Fc) Subst abuse
|Substance Use Co-morbidities:|| • SECOND SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER|
• ANTISOCIAL PERSONALITY DISORDER
|Societal and Health Implications of Addictive Disorders:|| • Poor choices, dangerous behaviors, accidental poisonings or adverse events|
• Long term consequences for your health
• Effects on your family, friends, the town you live in
|Questions for substance abuse:|| • C- Have you ever felt you ought to CUT down on your drinking?|
• A- Have people ANNOYED you by criticizing your drinking?
• G- Have you ever felt badly or GUILTY about your drinking?
• E- Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to steady your nerves or get rid of a hangover (EYE opener)?
|Smoking:||• Reduces life expectancy more than any other substance|
|Sedatives/Hypnotics mech:||Sedatives/Hypnotics mech:|
|Korsakoff's syndrome:|| • ALCOHOL AMNESTIC DISORDER|
• Irreversible short term memory disturbance
• May be accompanied by cerebellar signs, peripheral neuropathy, and cirrhosis.
• Rarely occurs before the age of 35
|Wernicke's Syndrome:|| • ALCOHOLIC ENCEPHALOPATHY|
• Presents as Mental status changes, Opthalmoplegia, Ataxia, Nystagmus (MOAN).
• May clear in a few days or weeks or progress to Korsakoff's Syndrome.
• Responds rapidly to large doses of parenteral THIAMINE.
|Delerium tremens associated w/ alcohol withdrawal:|| • Usually occurs 48-72 hours after cessation|
• Untreated DT's have a mortality rate of 20%
• Alcohol withdrawal Seizures: peak at 24 hours after your last drink
|Barbiturates work on what system:||• GABA and are additive|
|Barbiturate antidote:||• Flumazenil|
|Opiod receptor:||• ***µ- ACTIVATION PRODUCES ANALGESIA, EUPHORIA, RESP DEPRESSION, PUPIL CONSTRCTION, DECREASED GI MOTILITY|
|Hallucinogens:||• TQ- NEITEHR PHYSICAL DEPENDENCE OR WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS|
|Is voluntary intoxication an excuse for a criminal act:||• NO|