6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- Church constructed in Constantinople during Justinian's reign
- Nephew of Justin, becomes sole emperor of Byzantium in 527 C.E.
- Ruler of Russian kingdom of Kiev, converted kingdom to Christianity
- Last of the Kievan monarchs; issued legal codification based on codes develpoed in Byzantium
- Trade city in Russia established by Scandinavian traders in the ninth century. Became a focal point for the kingdom.
- Byzantine weapon consisting of mixture of chemicals (petroleum, quicklime, sulfur) that ignited when exposed to water; utilized to drive back Arab fleets that attacked Constantinople
5 True/False Questions
Constantinople → Blues & greens (chariot racing teams turned into fations) upset when Just. passed a law against factions. Also because of high taxes, and money went to conquest instead of the games. Greens & blues revolt.
Theodora → Wife of Justinian (previously a harlot). Partially the reason why Justinian was not well-liked by his subjects; convinced J to stay during Nika Revolt
iconoclasm → destruction of Christian icons as Leo III blamed them the cause for the loss to the Arab Muslims
Russian Orthodoxy → Byzantine missionaries sent to convert eastern Europe and the Balkans; responsible for creating the Slavic written script called Cyrillic.
Cyril and Methodius → Russian form of Christianity imported from Byzantium & combined with local religion