5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Why do we cut mirepoix into 1-2 inch pieces for stock production?
- What are the four criteria for evaluating Sauce Velouté?
- a We as a class cut it into 1-2inches because our chicken and beef stock takes long a time there for we cut them that size so it can take longer to cook. The smaller the cuts the less time need to cook.
- b a cold emulsion sauce that can be used as a spread on its own or can be made into a variety of derivative cold sauces,(ie. Remoulade, Sauce Vert)
- c Velvety texture, maintaining main ingredient flavor, and a light thick consistency.
- d bread that is usually rebaked and cut up in to squares and seasoned to put on a plate as a garnish.
- e Is a type of food topped with cheese or breadcrumbs that is baked or cooked in a salemender.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Yield: 1-1/4 cups
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
- to coat with sauce. Consistency of a sauce that will coat the back of a spoon.
- To pound or chop coarsely. Concasse usually refers to tomatoes that have been peeled, seeded and chopped.
- When reheating soups one must first place the desired item into a designed pot, pan etc and place over direct heat to begin the reheating process. One has just two hours to reheat these items to a temperature of 165F of at least 15 seconds; this is to avoid the growth of pathogens. Once reheat the food can be hot held at a temperature 135F or higher for up to four hours. (Servesafe)
- The French term for stock. Also describes the pan drippings remaining after sautéing or roasting food. It is often deglazed and used as a base for sauces.
5 True/False questions
What are the three colors of roux? → Brown Blonde White
How do you "bring back" a broken Mayonnaise sauce? → Plenty of Boiling Water! salted
(at least 6x more water than veg.)
Use Stainless Steel Pot!
1/3 cup Salt/Gallon H₂O!
Small Batches at a time!
Do Not Cover!
Broccoli should be Bright Green but just tender in the stem!
Which will turn sour faster whole milk or skim and why? → Onions 5 lbs.
Stock 1 gal.
What types of pots are best to use when making tomato sauce? → Cold emulsion sauce.
salt pork → a large straight sided pot that is taller than it is wide .used for making stocks or soups. Some have spigots