5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What is a rémouillage and how does it differ from a stock?
- Define Duxelle.
- What is the purpose of an acid in the clarification of a consommé?
- Cream soup
- a It's a stock used to make a glaze, it's made from previously cooked stock bones therefore making it a second stock. The difference is that this can be used as flavored water for foods like rice and vegetables.
- b Duxelle: An apparell of ﬁnely chopped mushroom and shallots sautéed gently with butter, used as a stufﬁng, garnish, or as a ﬂavoring in soups and sauces.
- c a straight, wide, straight sided pot with two loop handles often used for braising
- d traditionally a soup based on a béchamel sauce, any soup with cream.
- e The purpose of an acid is to blend into the clarification to help the raft form promptly as well as its flavor.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a kettle with double layered walls, between which steam circulates providing even heat for cooking soups stock and sauces the kettles canbe isolated spigoted or tilted
- A.INGREDIENTS: Fruit, Onions, Sugar
B. TEMP: (Glucose 300 Degrees) (Sucrose: 340 Degrees)
C. FLAVOR PROFILE: Caramelization brings out the sugar molecules by breaking them down.
- 8 lbs of bones : 1 # of mirepoix : 1 gallon water : 1 sachete => 1 gallon of W/B Stock
- Submerging the vegetable in an acidic medium after peeling/cutting will keep these vegetables from browning. Cooking them immediately also prevents them from browning. They should be cooked and cooled in the same liquid.
- a flavorful aromatic liquid made by simmering water or stock with meat, vegetables and or spices and herbs.
5 True/False Questions
Al dente → Gradually pour from one container into another, without disturbing the sediment
Blender → An electric mixing machine used in food preparation for liquefying, chopping, or puréeing.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of thickening with roux? → Advantages: Disadvantages:
Thickening dishes Longer cooking times
Starches don't break down
What are some different ways that tomato sauce can be made? → Depending on flavor it may include Tomato mirepoix with the addition of garlic. Others call for the addition of a ham bone or other pork bone. Then others rely simply on garlic, onions and herbs.
Describe the formula and method for reclarifing a cloudy consommé. → Bring the liquid down to approx. 120˚ F (a temperature below coagulation temperature of egg whites)
Beat 1 egg white/ qt. of liquid with a pinch of salt or a form of acid (tomatoes), to denature whites
Mix the egg whites into the warm liquid thoroughly
Heat the mixture to a gentle simmer, stirring to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom
Simmer gently 5 minutes to fully coagulate all whites (egg raft)
Strain carefully through coffee filter