5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Describe the formula and method for reclarifing a cloudy consommé.
- Glace de Viande
- Permanent emulsion
- a white bread crumbs with minced garlic and parsley. Mix with clarified butter to give texture. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- b Hold indefinitely once made Hollandaise ý LECITHIN as emulsifier Mayonnaise
- c Items cut into pieces somewhat larger than allumette orjulienne;1/4in by 1/4in by 1 to 2in/6mm by 6mm by 3 to 5 cm. French for "stick" or "small stick".
- d Meat glaze (reduced Estouffade)
- e Bring the liquid down to approx. 120˚ F (a temperature below coagulation temperature of egg whites)
Beat 1 egg white/ qt. of liquid with a pinch of salt or a form of acid (tomatoes), to denature whites
Mix the egg whites into the warm liquid thoroughly
Heat the mixture to a gentle simmer, stirring to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom
Simmer gently 5 minutes to fully coagulate all whites (egg raft)
Strain carefully through coffee filter
5 Multiple choice questions
- is a highly reduced stock, broth or remouillage.
- base, found in baking soda, turns veggies brown and breaks them down
- Thickened with flour usually contains pork, potatoes and dairy, traditional
- Broth that has been clarified using a mixture of ground meat, egg whites, and other ingredients that trap impurities to result in a perfectly clear broth.
- vegetables cut into 1/2 in cubes
5 True/False questions
Describe the difference between New England-style Chowder and Manhattan-style Chowder. → Classical cream soup is made with béchamel sauce and the modern cream soup is made with a veloute.
Broth → The French term for stock. Also describes the pan drippings remaining after sautéing or roasting food. It is often deglazed and used as a base for sauces.
Glace de Gibier → Fish glaze
Name three different types of specialty soups? → Brown Blonde White
What are the four criteria for evaluating Sauce Velouté? → Stock & roux.