5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Describe two reasons for precise vegetable cuts.
- What is the purpose of an acid in the clarification of a consommé?
- Sauce Béarnaise
- a Precise cuts help one make sure that all ingredients will be cooked evenly, makes the food appealing and demonstrates skills
- b The purpose of an acid is to blend into the clarification to help the raft form promptly as well as its flavor.
- c a sauce made of clarified butter emulsified in egg yolks and flavored with herbs
- d is a generic term to designate any group of yellow-brownish fatty substances occurring in animal and plant tissues, and in egg yolk
- e to remove skin form a food item
5 Multiple choice questions
- Stock & roux.
- Cook the aromatic vegetables to develop a good flavor base, for some soups, the main flavoring ingredient(s) may also be added in the first stages of cooking, puree the soup (as necessary) and strain it, simmer the soup, checking for flavor, consistency, and seasoning before adding the cream, garnishes must be very hot when added to hot soup, evaluate the quality of the finished cream soup.
- Fish glaze
- Dice cut of 1/8in/ 3-mm cubes. For a brunoise cut, items are first cut in julienne then cut crosswise. For a fine brunoise 1/16in/1.50-mm cube, cut items first in fine julienne.
- to make onion soup, you sauté onion in clarified butter that is then deglazed with sherry wine. After add a sachet and stock
5 True/False questions
List the variations of onion soup service styles, and associate each with a particular style of restaurant. → 8 lbs of bones : 1 # of mirepoix : 1 gallon water : 1 sachete => 1 gallon of W/B Stock
Calvados → is a highly reduced stock, broth or remouillage.
Al dente → to Cook to the bite
Specialty soups → to make onion soup, you sauté onion in clarified butter that is then deglazed with sherry wine. After add a sachet and stock
Steam jacketed kettles → Duxelle: An apparell of ﬁnely chopped mushroom and shallots sautéed gently with butter, used as a stufﬁng, garnish, or as a ﬂavoring in soups and sauces.