5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Which drugs are most likely to be prescribed as tranquilizers?
- At 3 o'clock in the morning, John has already slept for 4 hours. As long as his sleep continues, we can expect an increasing occurrence of
A) hypnagogic sensations.
B) muscle tension.
C) REM sleep.
D) Stage 4 sleep.
- The genome is the complete
A) collection of sexual characteristics regulated by the X and Y chromosomes.
B) range of traits that contribute to reproductive success.
C) set of genetic material in an organism's chromosomes.
D) set of interactions between genes and environments.
- One naturalistic observation of pedestrians found that half of the people on cellphones exhibit unsafe road crossing. This illustrates the impact of
A) the pop-out phenomenon.
B) selective attention.
D) choice blindness.
- The cocktail party effect provides an example of
A) choice blindness.
B) serial processing.
C) selective attention.
D) explicit memory.
- a C) set of genetic material in an organism's chromosomes.
- b B) barbiturates
- c C) REM sleep
- d B) selective attention
- e C) selective attention.
5 Multiple choice questions
- C) are not very similar to the personalities of their adoptive parents.
- A) would report a vivid dream if he were awakened during REM sleep.
- B) body contact
- A) decreases the brain's production of endorphins.
- B) dopamine
5 True/False questions
Hypnosis involves a state of
A) increased physical stamina.
B) heightened openness to suggestion. C) improved perceptual skills.
D) elevated autonomic arousal → B) heightened openness to suggestion.
The impact of our cultural backgrounds on the development of our personal values best illustrates the influence of
D) the environment. → D) the environment.
The biochemical units of heredity that make up the chromosomes are called
D) neurotransmitters. → B) 90 minutes
From ages 3 to 6, the brain's neural networks are sprouting most rapidly in the
A) frontal lobes.
D) brainstem. → D) home environment than by peers.
Alcohol consumption tends to
A) decrease self-awareness and increase impulse control.
B) increase self-awareness and decrease impulse control.
C) increase self-awareness and increase impulse control.
D) decrease self-awareness and decrease impulse control. → B) a pattern of biological functioning that occurs on a roughly 24-hour cycle.