← Elements of Poetry Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Colorful Language
- figure of speech
- a Poets use colorful, vivid language and figures of speech to create _____.
- b the pattern of beats in a line of poetry or prose.
- c language meant to be understood imaginatively instead of literally.
- d precise and lively words and phrases that help to create clear pictures in the reader's mind.
- e describing something not human as if it were human.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- one with a shape that suggests its subject.
- repetition of sounds at the ends of words (locks, box, and socks.)
- comparison using like or as.
- the repetition of consonant sounds at the beginnings of syllables (Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper)
- more than one use of a sound, word, or phrase.
5 True/False Questions
sensory details → words and phrases that describe how things look, sound, smell, taste and feel.
symbol → the feeling or emotion the writer creates in a literary word.
image → Poets use colorful, vivid language and figures of speech to create _____.
sound → a new word crated by joining together two old ones.
Metaphor → figure of speech in which one thing is spoken or written about as if it were another.