5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Joseph Lister
- a Microscopic-sized organisms, like bacteria, viruses or fungi.
- b Poisonous substance produced by bacteria inside the body
- c A unicellular fungi that breaks down complex nutrients, making them available for other organisms.
- d A feeding network in fungi
- e The first doctor to prove that the sterilization of instruments and bandages prevents death from infection.
5 Multiple choice questions
- To grow microorganisms in a nutrient medium like agar
- Anaerobic respiration carried out by microbes where sugar is broken down to release lactic acid or alcohol
- (Just a few examples)-Yogurt cultures, fermentation, aiding in decomposition, the release of elements such as carbon and nitrogen, the production of cheese.
- When an attenuated pathogen is injected into the body, giving the immune system the ability to identify that pathogen in the future, creating a quicker immune response.
- A group of antibiotics derived from penicillin fungi.
5 True/False questions
Protein coat → To introduce a micro-organism onto an agar plate
Louis Pasteur → A French scientist who lived in the 1800's. He proved that anthrax vaccines protect sheep from anthrax. He invented the process of pasteurization, and theorized about the process of sterilization.
Host → A unicellular fungi that breaks down complex nutrients, making them available for other organisms.
Agar → Gel-like substance used for growing bacteria, fungi, plant, or other cells
Sterilise → To make free from bacteria