Ensign Tom Sawyer Vocabulary
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Snatched, stole
- Settled securely or snugly
- Lasting for many years
- Careful, guarded
- a When Aunt Polly turned her back, Tom HOOKED a doughnut.
- b Huckleberry was always dressed in the cast-off clothes of full-grown men, and they were in PERENNIAL bloom and fluttering with rags.
- c They found the sharp new heap they were seeking, and ENSCONCED themselves within the protection of three great elms that grew in a bunch within a few feet of the grave.
- d So he went to the beetle and began a WARY attack on it again; jumping at it from every point of a circle...
- e Tom drew an hourglass, with a full moon and straw limbs to it, and armed the spreading fingers with a PORTENTOUS fan.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Aunt Polly threatened to TAN Tom if he didn't come back in time for supper.
- 'Oh, Aunty, my sore toe's MORTIFIED!'
- No, he would be a soldier, and return after long years, all war-worn and ILLUSTRIOUS.
- The villagers had a strong desire to tar-and-feather Injun Joe and ride him on a rail for body-snatching, but so FORMIDABLE was his character that nobody could be found who was willing to take the lead in the matter, so it was dropped.
- Just at this JUNCTURE the boy felt a slow fateful grip closing on his ear, and a steady lifting impulse.
5 True/False Questions
Noticeable, visible, clear, marked → His heart was heavy, and he said with a DISDAIN which he did not feel, that it wasn't anything to spit like Tom Saywer...
In a credible way → Tom got out of the presence as quickly as he PLAUSIBLY could, and after that he complained of a toothache for a week, and tied up his jaws every night.
Prompt and cheerful response → He hung his hat on a peg, and flung himself into his seat with business-like ALACRITY.
the ending of conflict or renewing of a friendly relationship between disputing people or groups → He began to hate himself for throwing away the chance Becky had offered for a RECONCILIATION.
Absolutely trustworthy or sure → They found the sharp new heap they were seeking, and ENSCONCED themselves within the protection of three great elms that grew in a bunch within a few feet of the grave.