5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Genetic variation
- DNA mutation
- a An alternative version of a gene carrying sequence differences.
- b A change to the DNA structure altering the sequence of bases.
- c Variation of genetic information in a gene pool.
- d Characteristic coded for by one gene.
- e Eukaryotic organisms or cell with more than two sets of chromosomes.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Alternative term for apoptosis.
- A change in the DNA within a gene involving the insertion or deletion of a number of bases that is not a multiple of three. This causes the downstream gene sequence to be scrambled because the correct reading frame is lost.
- Failure of members of a homologous pair of chromosomes, or of a pair of chromatids, to separate during nuclear division.
- A stretch of DNA consisting of two or more genes that are transcribed together and coregulated.
- Alleles present within cells of an individual, for a particular trait/characteristic.
5 True/False questions
Homozygous → Eukaryotic cell or organism that has two different alleles for a specific gene.
Genome → All the genetic information within an organism/cell.
Mutation → Structural change to genetic material - either to a gene or to a chromosome.
Phagocytosis → Programmed cell death. An orderly process by which cells self-destruct in an orderly fashion after a certain number of cell divisions, or if they cannot repair DNA damage.
ATP → Small vesicle formed that breaks away from the cell membrane during apoptosis