5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Erving Goffman
- Max Weber
- Karl Marx
- Robert Merton
- Lester Ward
- a Dramaturgy
- b Took a humanistic approach to sociology at the turn of the century with William Graham.
- c explained the origins of capitalism and tested Comte's ideas.
Studied understanding and ideas.
Said the protestant ethic led to the industrial revolution.
Created denotative and connotative understanding.
Developed ideal bureaucracy
Believed in Authority Legitimacy
Created three types of authority: traditional, rational legal and charismatic
The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit off Capitalism - Author
unlike marx, thought class would continue
- d Was a conflict theorists and the leader of communism. Believed that the burgeoisie exploited the proletariat.
Said elimination of conflict would create true community. Said that eventually the proletariat would rebel and achieve this.
- e Distinguished manifest, latent or unintended consequences of social structure. Believed this functions either functional or dysfunctional.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Iron law of Oligarchy: says that a few individuals hold sway over an organization and look to their own interests.
- Ralph Turner and Lewis Killian developed this collective behavior theory.
- Sociometry: the direction of interactions in a group.
- Attempted to end the "oversocialized" and the too socially determined "man in sociology"
- One of the first sociologists, right after Comte. Studied sociology in England.
5 True/False questions
Robert Merton → Iron law of Oligarchy: says that a few individuals hold sway over an organization and look to their own interests.
Talcott Parsons → A functionalist and advocated the "Grand Theory." Said that society was built on the organization of interrelated parts.
G. William Domhoff → Took a humanistic approach to sociology at the turn of the century with Lester Ward.
Kingsley Davis → Was a functionalist, believing structure was necessary. And studied demographics.
Wilbert Moore → Said that stratification was necessary for society to function. Since some have better abilities, they need an incentive to use them.