What were 3 long-range reasons for the war?
3. The Formation of Allies
Love of country and willingness to sacrifice for it;
1. France wants Alsace-Lorraine back.
2. Balkin States wanted independence from Austria.
All the European countries were building up its weapons and armies...Germany especially.
The Formation of Allies
The Central Powers: The Allies:
What was the event that started the war?
Archduke Ferdinand of Austria came to Serbia and Princip, an angry Serbian, bombed his carrige, killing the Archduke and his wife.
2 other names for WWI
1. The Great War
2. The War to End All Wars
New weapons used in WWI
1. Submarines- Uboats 4. Poison Gas
2. Machine guns 5. Planes
3. Tanks 6. Trench warfair
Who was the president of US during WWI? And what did he say?
Wilson. He said that US will stay nuetral and isoltaed.
Why didn't US stay nuetral?
1. The torpedoing of nuetral ships- starting with the Lusitania.
2. The Zimmerman Note (letter sent from Germany to Mexico to persuede Mexico to help them against US)
In what year did US enter WWI?
Where was the war fought?
On 2 fronts:
1. The Eastern European Front
2. The Western European Front
As a result, they had to split all resources.
Who won WWI?
November 11, 1918. The day the war was over.
What was the name of the treaty that officially ended WWI?
Treaty of Versailles
Which nations were involved in the treaty of versailles?
1. United States represented by Wilson.
2. England represented by Lloyd George.
3. France represented by Clemenceau.
4. Italy represented by Orlando.
What was discussed in the treaty of versailles?
1. The Map of Europe
2. Punishment of Germany
3. Creating an organization that should prevent future wars.
The Map of Europe:
1. France gets Alsace-Lorraine back.
2. France gets the Saar Valley for 15 years.
3. Poland gets access to Baltic Sea. (Danzig)
4. All the colonies of Central Powers are given to the Allies to control.
Punishment of Germany:
1. Germany must accept war guilt.
2. Germany must pay reparations.
3. Germany may not build up it's army.
League of Nations
An organization created during the Treaty of Versailles in order to prevent future wars. (It was part of Wilson's ideas.)
Were US part of League of Nations? Why or Why Not?
No. Because senate didn't approve of LON because they wanted to be isolationist.
3 other names for the Russian Revolution
1. The Communist Revolution
2. The Marxist Revolution
3. The Bloshevik Revolution
What were the protests of the different groups (of protestors) against Nicholas?
1. Wanted a Limited Monarchy.
2. The Bolsheviks wanted no more Czars. They wanted the government to be communist.
Who was the leader of the Bolsheviks?
Where does Lenin run to and why?
Switzerland because he's scared that the Czar will kill him.
What was a result of the rising protests against the Czar (Nicholas)?
Nicholas was forced to abdicate his thrown.
Temporary Russian Government
Leader of Provisional Government
What did the Russians want and what did Kerensky want regarding WWI?
Kerensky wanted to stay involved in the war.
Russia wanted to leave the war.
What did Lenin promise Russians (in order to get followers)?
Land, Peace, and Bread
2 wars Russia was involved in
2. Civil War
2 sides of the Civil War:
1. The Whites- Kerensky, Czar, and Duma
2. The Reds- Lenin, Bolsheviks, Communists
Who won? When? Who was killed?
Lenin. At the end of 1917. The czar and his family were killed.
What does Lenin do first?
Fullfilled his promise of Peace- He surrendered to Germany to get of of WWI.
Treaty of Breast Litovsk
Treaty between Russia and Germany that ended Russia's participation in WWI.
New Economic Policy (NEP)
a new government policy made by Lenin.
What was included in the treaty?
1. Made Moscow capital of Russia
2. Created the United Soviet Socialist Republic (USSR)
3. Allowed some private ownership of industry.
He was the person under Lenin who everyone assumed would take over when Lenin died. (But he didn't)
Russian leader who succeeded Lenin as head of the Communists. he was a Totalitarian Dictator.
3 things Stalin did:
1. Stalinazation- Purge of Lenin (killed anyone who had anything to do with Lenin)
2. Takes away all freedom including freedom of religion.
3.Set up Secret Police (NKVD)- spies everywhere. People were sent to prison camps in Gulag, Siberia.
What did Karl Marx say about Religion?
"Religion is the opiate of the masses"- Religion is like drug; if you don't have money, you have religion but if you have communist government who takes care of all needs then theres no need for religion.
How did Stalin make Russia very strong and industrialized?
1. 5 Year Plans- he made quotas on what needed to be produced but he didn't produce what was good for the ppl just what would mae the country industrialized.
2. Collectivization of Farms- each collective grew one specific crop. Peasants weren't happy because Stalin took away the land that Lenin promised them.