5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- oxides of sulfur
- atmospheric pressure
- temperature inversion
- a Toxic Chemical Release Inventory, required for facilities manufacturing, mining, and utilities that manufacture or process over 25,000 pounds or "otherwise use" over the threshold planning quantity of extremely hazardous substances
- b a purifier that removes impurities from a gas
- c the pressure exerted by the atmosphere on all objects within it
- d S + O₂ → SO₂
2SO₂+ O₂ → 2SO₃
SO₃+ H₂O → H₂SO₄, natural source: volcanoes, decay of organic matter. man made source: combustion of sulfur containing coal and smelting of sulfide ores. methods of reduction: alkaline scrubbing.
- e atmospheric condition in which warm air traps cooler air near the earth's surface
5 Multiple choice questions
- A pollutant that is put directly into the atmosphere by human or natural activity
- an abnormal condition of the lungs marked by decreased respiratory function
- (CO) Sources include incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. Effects: binds to hemoglobin reducing bloods ability to carry O2. Reduction accomplished by catalytic converters, oxygenated fuel, mass transit (reduction).
- (CO2) Sources include the combustion of fossil fuels. Effects: greenhouse gas-contributes to global warming. Reduction accomplished by increased fuel efficiency (gas mileage), mass transit (reduction).
- • Mining, milling, fabrication of asbestos-containing products, removal of insulation
5 True/False questions
HAPS → the National Ambient Air Quality Standards established by the U.S. federal government to limit air pollution
catalytic converter → air is sucked into a cyclone that has metal sheet that remove large pollutants and then the air is pushed back out while the large pollutants are cleaned out
high sulfur coal → was generally formed under freshwater conditions
clean air act → U.S. Congress passed the Clean Air Acts of 1970, 1977, and 1990, which have established air pollution regulations for key pollutants that are enforced by states and by major cities; these acts have greatly reduced outdoor air pollution from six major pollutants.
Asian Brown Cloud → a massive dark brown cloud of mostly industrial smog stretching nearly continuously across much of India, Bangladesh, industrial China, and the surrounding ocean