5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- clean air act
- Asian Brown Cloud
- a an ionic compound that resists changes in its pH
- b a massive dark brown cloud of mostly industrial smog stretching nearly continuously across much of India, Bangladesh, industrial China, and the surrounding ocean
- c Set emission standards for cars, and limits for release of air pollutants
- d chance, accident
- e a substance related to alcohol. formaldehyde is made by the body from alcohol and contributes to hangovers
5 Multiple choice questions
- Radioactive material that comes up from the ground and can penatrate basements, causing indoor pollution
- cause cross-linking that inactivates proteins and nucleic acids
- (CO2) Sources include the combustion of fossil fuels. Effects: greenhouse gas-contributes to global warming. Reduction accomplished by increased fuel efficiency (gas mileage), mass transit (reduction).
- nitrogen dioxide (NO2) and nitric oxide (NO) 2 primary nitrogen pollutants produced by natural bacteria action
- was generally formed under freshwater conditions
5 True/False questions
acid rain → short, hair-like structures made of microtubules that enable movement of cells or movement of materials outside a cell
industrial smog → smog resulting from emissions from industry and other sources of gases produced by the burning of fossil fuels.
mobile pollution → According to the EPA, mobile sources produce nearly half of two major causes of smog—volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and nitrogen oxides (NOx), almost 90% of carbon monoxide, and more than half of hazardous air pollutants.
acid deposition → caused by sulfuric and nitric acids resulting in lowered pH of surface waters
peroxyacyl nitrates → a small discrete mass of solid or liquid matter that remains individually dispersed in gas or liquid emissions (usually considered to be an atmospheric pollutant)