5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Shays' Rebellion
- Articles of Confederation
- Legislative Branch
- a America's first constitution, approved by Congress in 1777, it created a very loose alliance of the 13 independent states. Was replaced when the US Constitution was ratified in 1787.
- b A middle way between two extremes.
- c to give up
- d The branch of government that makes the laws. The essential details of this branch are included in Article 1 of the Constitution.
- e a rebellion by debtor farmers in western Massachusetts, led by Revolutionary War Captain Daniel Shays, against Boston creditors. it began in 1786 and lasted half a year, threatening the economic interests of the business elite and contributing to the demise of the Articles of Confederation. This action revealed weaknesses in the Articles of Confederation.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a formal accusation of misconduct in office against a public official
- Series of essays by Federalists; James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay, written to support the ratification of the Constitution.
- a long-term economic state characterized by unemployment and low prices and low levels of trade and investment
- English philosopher who advocated the idea of a "social contract" in which government powers are derived from the consent of the governed and in which the government serves the people; also said people have natural rights to life, liberty and property.
5 True/False Questions
Amend → correct; change ; generally for the better
execute → to give up
Virginia Plan → American Revolutionary leader from Virginia whose objections led to the drafting of the Bill of Rights during the debate over the ratification of the US Constitution (1725-1792)
New Jersey Plan → Initial proposal at the Constitutional Convention made by the Virginia delegation for a strong central government with a bicameral legislature dominated by the big states.
anarchy → correct; change ; generally for the better