← Vocabulary Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Newt Gingrich
- Department of Homeland Security
- Gerald Ford
- Al Gore
- a During the 60's and 70's, the U.S. was suffering from 5.3% inflation and 6% unemployment. Refers to the unusual economic situation in which an economy is suffering both from inflation and from stagnation of its industrial growth.
- b president 1974-77, Nixon's Vice president, only person not voted into the White House, appointed vice president by Nixon: became president after Nixon resigned.
- c Republican speaker in the House. He pushed for more conservative legislation during Clinton's presidency.
- d Vice president of the United States under Bill Clinton (born in 1948)
- e US federal agency created in 2002 to coordinate national efforts against terrorism.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Result of a political sex scandal emerging from a sexual relationship between United States President Bill Clinton and a 22-year-old White House intern, Monica Lewinsky.
- Head of the Soviet Union from 1985 to 1991. His liberalization effort improved relations with the West, but he lost power after his reforms led to the collapse of Communist governments in eastern Europe.
- A break-in at the Democratic National Committee offices in the Watergate complex in Washington was carried out under the direction of White House employees. Disclosure of the White House involvement in the break-in and subsequent cover-up forced President Nixon to resign in 1974 to avoid impeachment.
- Terrorist attacks on the united states that killed thousands of people at the twin towers and the pentagon.
5 True/False Questions
Richard Nixon → First elected president in 1980 and elected again in 1984. He ran on a campaign based on the common man and "populist" ideas. He served as governor of California from 1966-1974, and he participated in the McCarthy Communist scare. Iran released hostages on his Inauguration Day in 1980. While president, he developed Reagannomics, the trickle down effect of government incentives. He cut out many welfare and public works programs. He used the Strategic Defense Initiative to avoid conflict. His meetings with Gorbachev were the first steps to ending the Cold War. He was also responsible for the Iran-contra Affair which bought hostages with guns.
Regents of UC vs. Blake → ...
Persian Gulf War → A war fought between a coalition led by the United States and Iraq to free Kuwait from Iraqi invaders.
Oliver North → Vice president of the United States under Bill Clinton (born in 1948)
NAFTA → A trade agreement between Canada, the United States and Mexico that encourages free trade between these North American countries.