← Middle Ages Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Stone Keep
- Merlons and Crenels
- Motte and Bailey
- a Along with archers, these soldiers came to be favoured by leaders during the later Middle Ages, instead of armies of knights.
- b The type of castles which were constructed by William the Conqueror to assert his authority upon the conquest of Britain.
- c Also known as 'crenelations', these were the fortifications at the top of most castles. They allowed archers and defenders to shoot, but to be protected.
- d The person chosen by a lord to come and oversee the running of a particular village. His job involved being in charge of justice, managing the finances, undertaking building projects and collecting rents or taxes.
- e Castle made of thick stone, the keep was protected by a palisade, defensive wall, moat and drawbridge
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A person under the protection of a feudal lord to whom he service and loyalty, for which he will receive a fiefdom [land] and protection.
- A machine used in medieval siege warfare for hurling large stones or other missiles. Worked like a giant sling.
- Started in Spain, was a process of capturing, torturing, and killing non-Catholics to root out Heresy.
- A castle gate that was able to be lowered and raised, in order to allow access over a moat.
- A battle involving the armies of the king of England Harold Godwinson and the invading Norman armies lead by William the conqueror.
5 True/False Questions
Heresy → The eternal punishment of separation from God, reserved for those who die in mortal sin and are unrepentant.
Pilgrimage → Fortification consisting of a strong fence made of stakes driven into the ground.
Guilds → Used to grind grain. In the Middle Ages, this was usually found near a stream which was used to power the device.
Parish priest → Worked in the local church known as the parish, the smallest church district, usually in a village.
The Crusades → A series of military expeditions in the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries by Western European Christians to reclaim control of the Holy Lands from the Muslims