5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Suleiman the Magnificent
- Ain Jalut
- Cape Colony
- a ..., The most illustrious sultan of the Ottoman Empire (r. 1520-1566); also known as Suleiman Kanuni, 'The Lawgiver.' He significantly expanded the empire in the Balkans and eastern Mediterranean. (p. 526)
- b ..., battle of ain jalut 1260. was the turning point of mongolian empire of mo.
10 thousand mongol soldiers were attacked by 40 thousand muslim soldiers from egypt. egyptain army wins -> was the first defeat of mongols since gheghis khan.
this defeat convinced many that mongols can be beat. also a civil war breaks out between kubilai and ariqbuke. the two brothers fight it out to see who would rule. first time after genghis that a civil war broke out. kubilai wins. this only weakens the mongol rule...eventually they divided into 4 separate states. 1260- turning point for Mongols because of lost battle, civil war, and division of empire
- c ..., an adherent of Sikhism
- d a former province of southern South Africa that was settled by the Dutch in 1652 and ceded to Great Britain in 1814
- e ..., Capital of the Mongol empire under Chinggis Khan, 1162 - 1227.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- ..., People of mixed Native American and African descent. Lowest tier of social class, with no rights whatsoever.
- Why weren't the above colonies colonized?
- Which two African countries were not colonized by Europeans in the 19th century?
- ..., people who live in what is now called Ghana, in west africa, and who are known fro their artful weaving and colorful asasia, or kente cloth.
- What is the estimated number of Africans forcibly brought over to the New World?
5 True/False Questions
Potosi → ..., Located in Bolivia, one of the richest silver mining centers and most populous cities in colonial Spanish America. (p. 479)
Suez Canal → ..., beautiful mausoleum at Agra built by the Mogul emperor Shah Jahan (completed in 1649) in memory of his favorite wife
Benito Juarez → ..., Mexican national hero; brought liberal reforms to Mexico, including separation of church and state, land distribution to the poor, and an educational system for all of Mexico
hacienda → ..., A grant of land made by Spain to a settler in the Americas, including the right to use Native Americans as laborers on it
shah → ..., an adherent of Sikhism