5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- brain strem three functions
- Brain damaged patients - what to look for
- cerebrum and cerebral cortex
- a general arousal, breathing, heart rate
- b the relay centre, transmitting information from cortex
- c dissociations, patterns of impairment - what skills remain and what conditions improve or make the problem worse
- d 2 hemispheres; LHem & RHem, connected by corpus callosum
- e plays a pivtol role in triggering and shaping our emotions
5 Multiple choice questions
- unilateral neglect
- use measures of brain activity as "markers" of different cognitive processes
- caused by damage to the parietal lobes. Damage to the right parietal lobe = neglect to left handside of world ie: forget to brush left side of hair
- Outer grey layer of cerebral hemispheres
- frontal, parietal, Occipital, temporal
5 True/False questions
localisation of function → brains visual feature = wrinkles that cover brain's outer surface
Descartes → proposed every action by an organism was a response to an external event that excites the senses that then excites a nerve that transmits the excitation to the brain that in turn diverts the excitation to the muscle and makes the muscle contract. In other words "reflex". Thought of humans as machines.
Glia → outnumbers neurons 10:1 in some parts of the brain.
The individual brain → sits on top of hindbrain - coordinates movement and relays information from senses.
Prosopagnosia → positioned above medulla and controls timing of sleep and dreams + attentiveness