5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What are five of Shakespeare's most famous plays?
- What are the Lord Chamberlain's Men, and what is/ why did they recieve their new name?
- Which gender acted on stage and who played women?
- What is the Hut and the turret? Why is a flag hung from the turret?
- How did Shakespeare come up with his stories?
- a Lord Chamberlain's Men was a theatre troupe that performed Shakespeare's plays. Their new name was the King's Men and they were named such because after Queen Elizabeth died, King James became the beneficiary.
- b Males. Young, prepubescent boys played women.
- c He plagerized and took ideas from other poets and playwrights. Romeo and Juliet was originally a poem written by a man named Arthur Brooks.
- d Othello, King Lear, Macbeth, A Mid-Summer Night's Dream, Hamlet, Julius Caesar
- e The Hut is a roofed area above the stage where sound effects came from. The turret was on top of the hut, and the flag that hung from the turret showed the genre of play being performed that day.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Anne Hathaway and 18 and 26
- Everyone, rich and poor
- The stage was a 5 foot tall platform that jutted out into the Pit. It was often called the Apron's stage.
- 1644. It was demolished because the Puritans disapproved of it.
- A trap door is a hidden entrance onto the stage from the area underneath that can be used to signify the death of a character or a ghost.
5 True/False questions
How did Queen Elizabeth feel about theatre, and how do you know? → They believed in it a great deal.
How long did Shakespeare go to school and what language did he study? → He plagerized and took ideas from other poets and playwrights. Romeo and Juliet was originally a poem written by a man named Arthur Brooks.
What did people feel about astrology in the Elizabethan Era? → They believed in it a great deal.
What were the three types of plays that were performed? → The stage was a 5 foot tall platform that jutted out into the Pit. It was often called the Apron's stage.
How do people feel about magic and other superstition? → Believed in it a great deal. Astrologers could have a great impact in people's lives.