← Film Studies Final Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Abstract films
- Independent Cinemas
- Primary components of film sound
- Talking Heads
- a dialogue, music and sound effects
- b Smaller theater. film is not financed by a major Hollywood studio. Independent filmmakers secure fund by seeking out sponsors, drumming up investors, or borrowing money from friends and relatives. They are freer to explore complex topics and social issues that may be off-limits to make or studios afraid of offending their general audience.
- c Interviews and captures personal feelings
- d abandon human figures. i.e. nature, items etc
- e o Not documentary films by fiction films that pose as documentaries by familiar conventions. (i.e. The Office)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a system devised to minimize the audience's awareness of shot transitions, especially cuts, in order to improve the flow of the story and avoid interrupting the viewer's immersion in it.
- Director must demonstrate a distinguishable personality. films in an auteur's body of work share an interior meaning, defined as an underlying tension between the director's vision and the subject matter.
- Rife of humor, sexuality, and scandalous images
- the implied world of the story, including settings, characters, sounds, and events.
- the only function of a score is to provide background music which sustains audience attention and lends coherence to a scene. It can also develop systematically and establish motifs and parallels and it can evolve with narrative context
5 True/False Questions
Volume → the only function of a score is to provide background music which sustains audience attention and lends coherence to a scene. It can also develop systematically and establish motifs and parallels and it can evolve with narrative context
Outsourcing → Process of contracting a business function to someone else. The practice of Hollywood studios contracting out post-production work to individuals or films outside the United States.
Acoustic Qualities → The way voices sound can suggest the distance between characters, or mood, aura, or atmosphere of a place—its ambience
High concept films → A post-studio era Hollywood film designed to appeal to the broadest possible audience by fusing a simple story line with major movie stars and mounting a lavish market campaign.
Text → the most common transition, when shot A abruptly ends and shot B begins