5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Countercurrent exchange
- a Waxy outer layer on a leaf.
- b Organism that is able to maintain an internal body temperature within a narrow range. Endothermic.
- c Arrangement of vascular tissues that enable heat to be transferred from a vessel carrying fluid from the core to an extremity, to a vessel carrying fluid from an extremity to the core.
- d Endocrine attached to the hypothalamus. Influences the production of thyroxine by the thyroid gland.
- e Organisms whose body temperature is maintained by internal metabloic sources.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Sytstem of ductuless glands that produce hormones which are released directly into the bloodstream.
- Region of the brain responsible for essential fuctions associated with the autonomic nervous system.
- Part of the neuron that contains the nucleus. Also called the soma.
- Compound that when added to a fluid loewrs the freezing point of the fluid.
- Organims whose body temperature varies with the external environment. Ectothermic.
5 True/False questions
Interneurons → Nerve cells found within the CNS which communicate between affector and effector neurons.
Xerophytes → Plants with characteristics that enable resistance to drought and life in very arid areas.
Antidiuretic hormone → Homrone which increases reabsorption of water into the blood from the distal tubules and collecting ducts of nephrons in the kidney.
Peripheral nervous system → Sub-branch of the nervous system involving all nerves that lie outside the brain and spinal cord.
Kidneys → In animals, chemicals produced in endocrine glands that are released into and transported via that bloodstream to other parts of the body where they act.