5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Start of misunderstanding between Americans and Filipinos
- Partido Nacionalista and Partido Democrata
- San Isidro, Nueva Ecija
- Battle of Manila Bay
- Philippine Republic
- a Filipinos were not allowed to enter Manila after the Spanish surrendered the area to the Americans. Real motive of Americans was unveiled, they too wanted to occupy and use the Philippines for their own interests.
- b May 1, 1898 - Comm George Dewey arrived in Manila and fought and defeated the Spaniards.
- c These were some of the groups that continued to fight versus the Americans even after the orders to punish armed troops came out.
- d This was where the seat of government was transferred by Aguinaldo after Malolos was conquered by the Americans.
- e January 23, 1899 - First Philippine Republic was established with Gen Emilio Aguinaldo as the first President. This was a true democratic government and accepted by majority of Filipinos but it was not recognized by Americans and other countries of the world.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Led the biggest American defeat in the Battle of San Mateo, this happened during the end of 1899.
- February 4, 1899 - Americans entered Caloocan and defeated Gen Antonio Luna's troops. Luna ordered all houses to be burned to render them useless to the Americans. They then retreated to Bulacan. Luna and his men also tried to enter Manila but were again defeated. The Americans conquered other places such as Marikina, Pateros, Guadalupe and Caloocan.
- These were some of the compositions of writers who showed their objections to the Americans. They used metaphors and produced zarzuelas and dramas. These were Juan Abad, Aurelio Tolentino, and Juan Matapang Cruz. They were later imprisoned because of their compositions.
- Comm Dewey and General Merritt secretly entered into an agreement with Spanish Gov Gen Fermin Jaudines to surrender Manila to the Americans.
- composed the Marcha National which was played during the Declaration of Independence. It became the Philippines' national anthem.
5 True/False questions
Forced Evacuation → Americans declared that all armed troops would be punished or imprisoned. They resorted to this to avoid civilians helping out the guerillas. This resulted to the death of many Filipinos because of sickness and starvation.
January 1, 1901 → The Irreconcilables: Artemio Ricarte, Pablo Ocampo, Maximo Hizon and Julian Gerona were exiled to Guam because of their refusal to accept American Rule.
March 31, 1899 → Aguinaldo was captured by American troops and brought to Manila. This was the fall of the First Philippine Republic.
Feb 28, 1899 → The Americans attacked Cebu. Samar, Leyte, Marinduque, and Calamianes fell in the hands of the Americans.
Tydings McDuffie Act → This was the realization of all the efforts of Filipinos to seek independence from the Americans. It stipulated that the Phils would be granted independence after 10 years of preparation which would be under the Commonwealth government.