- Thought that rebellion against the government was never justified
- People are equal
- Rulers need absolute power
- If people were left alone, they would constantly fight
- Supported religious tolerance, and freedom of thought
- Thought that people had natural rights (right to life, liberty, and property)
- Rebellion was justified if the ruler no longer had the consent of the people
- People were basically reasonable and cooperative
- Thought that the power of government should be divided into three different powers (seperation of powers, checks and balances)
- "I do not agree with a word you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Thought that rulers should be strong but intelligent
- Titles of nobility should be abolished
- People have a contract with society that says that they most obey its rules, even if unjust, when they enter it.
- "Man is born free, and everywhere else he is in chains"
- "noble savage" = person who lives in nature, pure, not coruppted by society, etc.