5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Why was the Gadsden Purchase so significant to American settlers' movement westward?
- What is the title of the picture and who created it?
[insert picture of creepy lady in weird spirit form flying with the people and settlers moving west here]
- Mexico recognizes Texas as a part of
the United States.
The Rio Grande is made the border
between Mexico and the United States.
Mexico cedes (surrenders) territory
that is now part of 7 present-day states
What treaty established these terms of peace to end the war?
- "Extending nearly ten degrees of latitude along the Pacific, and embracing the only safe and commodious harbors on that coast for many hundred miles, with a temperate climate and an extensive interior of fertile lands, it is scarcely possible t estimate its wealth until it shall be brought under the government of our laws and its resources fully developed. From its position it must command the rich commerce of China, of Asia, of the islands of the Pacific, of western Mexico, of Central America, the South American States, and of the Russian possessions bordering on that ocean. A great emporium will doubtless speedily arise on the California coast which may be
destined to rival in importance New Orleans itself."
-President James K. Polk, State of the Union Address, December 5, 1848
Why does President Polk argue California should become a part of the United States
- Describe the following court case:
Dred Scott v. Sanford
- a American Progress by John Gast
- b The land may produce many riches
- c It created a route for settlers to cross without having to cross the Mountains.
- d Gained Support for the abolitionist movement
- e Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
5 Multiple choice questions
- Ruled that the state of Georgia did not have the right to force the Cherokee Nation off their territory
- Present day states of California, Nevada, and Utah; Most of Arizona and New Mexico: Parts of
Colorado and Wyoming;
- American settlers move west
- -Indian Removal
-Worcester v. Georgia
- Trail of Tears
- It gave specific guidelines about founding territories and creating states
5 True/False questions
What geographic location allowed for increased labor with a great number of immigrants from
Asia? → Mountains
How did President Polk's placement of soldiers, along the Rio Grande contribute to the outbreak
of war with Mexico? → Mountains
Describe the following court case:
a. Marbury v. Madison → Ruled that states do not have the right to tax federal institutions
What major physical feature created an obstacle for crossing the Mormon Trail, Santa Fe Trail,
and Oregon Trail? → Rocky Mountains
What century does the most territorial expansion of the United States take place? → Early 19th Century