5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What territories were added as a result of the U.S.-Mexican War?
- Describe the following court case:
Worcester v. Georgia
- What geographic location allowed for increased labor with a great number of immigrants from
- What major physical feature created an obstacle for crossing the Mormon Trail, Santa Fe Trail,
and Oregon Trail?
- What were the significant reasons for the use of the following trails:
-Santa Fe Trail
- a Ruled that the state of Georgia did not have the right to force the Cherokee Nation off their territory
- b California along the Pacific Ocean
- c Mountains
- d Present day states of California, Nevada, and Utah; Most of Arizona and New Mexico: Parts of
Colorado and Wyoming;
- e - Mormon Trail: Route by which Mormons traveled west to Utah
-Santa Fe Trail: Route by which American merchants with manufactured goods traveled and traded in Santa Fe with Mexican merchants for horses, mules, and silver.
-Oregon Trail: Used by many settlers moving west to Oregon Country.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Rocky Mountains
- 1803 and Thomas Jefferson was president
- Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
- Kansas and Nebraska
- American Progress by John Gast
5 True/False questions
Describe the following court case:
Dred Scott v. Sanford → Ruled that states do not have the right to tax federal institutions
Why was the Gadsden Purchase so significant to American settlers' movement westward? → It created a route for settlers to cross without having to cross the Mountains.
"Away, away with all these cobweb issues of rights of discover, exploration, settlement, continuity, etc.... our claim to Oregon would still be best and strongest. And that claim is by the right of our manifest destiny to overspread the development of the great experiment of liberty and federated self-government entrusted to us."
-John O'Sullivan, editorial in the New York Morning News, December, 1845
What is the justification O'Sullivan provides for the expansion of the United States to Oregon? → To spread the principles of democratic government
What were three significant results of Andrew Jackson's policies toward the American
Indians → -Indian Removal
-Worcester v. Georgia
- Trail of Tears
What specific requirements were established for a territory to become a state during
westward expansion? → When the population reaches 60,000 adult males the area can write a state constitution and apply for statehood. If Congress approves the state constitution, the area will become a state.