5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What century does the most territorial expansion of the United States take place?
- Describe the following court case:
Worcester v. Georgia
- "Away, away with all these cobweb issues of rights of discover, exploration, settlement, continuity, etc.... our claim to Oregon would still be best and strongest. And that claim is by the right of our manifest destiny to overspread the development of the great experiment of liberty and federated self-government entrusted to us."
-John O'Sullivan, editorial in the New York Morning News, December, 1845
What is the justification O'Sullivan provides for the expansion of the United States to Oregon?
- "Extending nearly ten degrees of latitude along the Pacific, and embracing the only safe and commodious harbors on that coast for many hundred miles, with a temperate climate and an extensive interior of fertile lands, it is scarcely possible t estimate its wealth until it shall be brought under the government of our laws and its resources fully developed. From its position it must command the rich commerce of China, of Asia, of the islands of the Pacific, of western Mexico, of Central America, the South American States, and of the Russian possessions bordering on that ocean. A great emporium will doubtless speedily arise on the California coast which may be
destined to rival in importance New Orleans itself."
-President James K. Polk, State of the Union Address, December 5, 1848
Why does President Polk argue California should become a part of the United States
- How did the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 provide for the orderly expansion of the United
- a Ruled that the state of Georgia did not have the right to force the Cherokee Nation off their territory
- b The land may produce many riches
- c To spread the principles of democratic government
- d It gave specific guidelines about founding territories and creating states
- e Early 19th Century
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- When the population reaches 60,000 adult males the area can write a state constitution and apply for statehood. If Congress approves the state constitution, the area will become a state.
- Rocky Mountains
- Pioneers are shown moving West bringing new transportation and communication technologies with the angel guiding and protecting them.
- - Mormon Trail: Route by which Mormons traveled west to Utah
-Santa Fe Trail: Route by which American merchants with manufactured goods traveled and traded in Santa Fe with Mexican merchants for horses, mules, and silver.
-Oregon Trail: Used by many settlers moving west to Oregon Country.
- California along the Pacific Ocean
5 True/False Questions
What territories were added as a result of the U.S.-Mexican War? → Kansas and Nebraska
What is the title of the picture and who created it?
[insert picture of creepy lady in weird spirit form flying with the people and settlers moving west here] → American Progress by John Gast
Mexico recognizes Texas as a part of
the United States.
The Rio Grande is made the border
between Mexico and the United States.
Mexico cedes (surrenders) territory
that is now part of 7 present-day states
What treaty established these terms of peace to end the war? → Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
Describe the following court case:
Dred Scott v. Sanford → Ruled that states do not have the right to tax federal institutions
What were three significant results of Andrew Jackson's policies toward the American
Indians → -Indian Removal
-Worcester v. Georgia
- Trail of Tears