5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What main action did many Americans carry out that was based on their belief of
Manifest Destiny of the United States in the 1800s?
- What specific physical feature was a major deterrent for Americans to move west?
- Describe the following court case:
Dred Scott v. Sanford
- "Away, away with all these cobweb issues of rights of discover, exploration, settlement, continuity, etc.... our claim to Oregon would still be best and strongest. And that claim is by the right of our manifest destiny to overspread the development of the great experiment of liberty and federated self-government entrusted to us."
-John O'Sullivan, editorial in the New York Morning News, December, 1845
What is the justification O'Sullivan provides for the expansion of the United States to Oregon?
- Mexico recognizes Texas as a part of
the United States.
The Rio Grande is made the border
between Mexico and the United States.
Mexico cedes (surrenders) territory
that is now part of 7 present-day states
What treaty established these terms of peace to end the war?
- a Gained Support for the abolitionist movement
- b Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo
- c Rocky Mountains
- d American settlers move west
- e To spread the principles of democratic government
5 Multiple choice questions
- - Mormon Trail: Route by which Mormons traveled west to Utah
-Santa Fe Trail: Route by which American merchants with manufactured goods traveled and traded in Santa Fe with Mexican merchants for horses, mules, and silver.
-Oregon Trail: Used by many settlers moving west to Oregon Country.
- When the population reaches 60,000 adult males the area can write a state constitution and apply for statehood. If Congress approves the state constitution, the area will become a state.
- Ruled that states do not have the right to tax federal institutions
- American Progress by John Gast
- -Indian Removal
-Worcester v. Georgia
- Trail of Tears
5 True/False questions
What geographic location allowed for increased labor with a great number of immigrants from
Asia? → California along the Pacific Ocean
How does the artist of the picture demonstrate a belief in Manifest Destiny? → Present day states of California, Nevada, and Utah; Most of Arizona and New Mexico: Parts of
Colorado and Wyoming;
How did the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 provide for the orderly expansion of the United
States? → It gave specific guidelines about founding territories and creating states
What major physical feature created an obstacle for crossing the Mormon Trail, Santa Fe Trail,
and Oregon Trail? → Rocky Mountains
Why was the Gadsden Purchase so significant to American settlers' movement westward? → It created a route for settlers to cross without having to cross the Mountains.