|Market research||gathers data to determine existing services, products or mechanisms, to meet government needs, and organizations that are able to provide such services, products or programs.|
|main goal||understand the market place.|
|ultimate purpose||ensure use of the most suitable approach to acquiring, distributing and supporting supplies and services or effective sponsoring of appropriate programs.|
|Market research techniques|| - contact knowledgeable individuals.|
- review recent market research results.
-Publish formal request for information.
- Query government and non-government databases.
- Online interaction among industry, aquisition personnel and customers.
- Review catalogs etc
- pre-solicitation conferences
|NGO's|| - compete for both acquisition and assistance awards.|
- profit may not be charged to an assistance award.
|PVO(Private voluntary Organizations)|| - receives revenue from private sector.|
- and voluntary support from the general public.
-US PVO's must register with USAID to be eligible to apply for USAID assistance.
|PIOs(Public International Organizations)|| - composed principally of countries.|
- official list maintained by the Delegated Cooperation Secretariat (DCS).
|Small Business Act||-requires agencies to support small businesses in the award of federal contracts.|
- FAR part 19 implements the act.
- Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization
(OSDBU) assists CO and Activity Managers to determine if acquisition should be set-aside for small business.
- acquisitions exceeding $3,000 but less than $150,000 (simplified acquisition threshold) automatically reserved for small business concerns.
|Small Busniess Concerns|| -operated in the US, pays taxes & is for-profit.|
-non-profits do not qualify.
- at least 51% owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals (e.g blacks, hispanics) and is certified by the SBA.
|US Women-Owned Business Concern||- at least 51% owned & controlled by a woman|
|HUBZone Small Business Concern||- located in historically underutilized business zones.|
|Vetera-Owned Small Business Concern||- at least 51% owned by one or more veterans.|
|Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business||- at least 51% owned by one or more service disabled veterans|
|SBA-Section 8(A)|| - establishes a program that authorizes the SBA to enter into all types of contracts with other agencies and subcontracts to eligible section 8a firms.|
- awarded in sole source or competitive basis.
- sole source awards must be less that $4m or only one section 8a firm is available.
|WOSB/EDWOSB|| -women-owned small businesses.|
- Economically disadvantaged women-owned small business.
|Organizational and Consultant Conflicts fo Interest (OCI)|| -bias|
- unfair competitive advantage
|Avoiding OCI|| - consult and coordinate regularly with eh CO/AO/RLA during market research.|
- consult widely and be inclusive when researching.
- document all actions and org and people consulted.
|Using Existing Awards|| - awards centrally available for worldwide use.|
- determine if they meet your needs.
- Leader/Associate Award (LWA) (assistance).
- Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) (acquisition).
|Reaching the Market place|| use USG-wide portal to industry-|
|Global Development Alliance|| -public-private alliance for improving social and economic conditions in developing countries.|
- co-designed, co-funded, co-managed.
- shared risks, responsibilities and rewards.
- leverage USAID funding with non-traditional development partner funding
|Documeting the source|| - a memo including-|
- market resource conducted
- methods used
- organizations included
- techniques employed