gathers data to determine existing services, products or mechanisms, to meet government needs, and organizations that are able to provide such services, products or programs.
understand the market place.
ensure use of the most suitable approach to acquiring, distributing and supporting supplies and services or effective sponsoring of appropriate programs.
Market research techniques
- contact knowledgeable individuals.
- review recent market research results.
-Publish formal request for information.
- Query government and non-government databases.
- Online interaction among industry, aquisition personnel and customers.
- Review catalogs etc
- pre-solicitation conferences
- compete for both acquisition and assistance awards.
- profit may not be charged to an assistance award.
PVO(Private voluntary Organizations)
- receives revenue from private sector.
- and voluntary support from the general public.
-US PVO's must register with USAID to be eligible to apply for USAID assistance.
PIOs(Public International Organizations)
- composed principally of countries.
- official list maintained by the Delegated Cooperation Secretariat (DCS).
Small Business Act
-requires agencies to support small businesses in the award of federal contracts.
- FAR part 19 implements the act.
- Office of Small and Disadvantaged Business Utilization
(OSDBU) assists CO and Activity Managers to determine if acquisition should be set-aside for small business.
- acquisitions exceeding $3,000 but less than $150,000 (simplified acquisition threshold) automatically reserved for small business concerns.
Small Busniess Concerns
-operated in the US, pays taxes & is for-profit.
-non-profits do not qualify.
- at least 51% owned and controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals (e.g blacks, hispanics) and is certified by the SBA.
US Women-Owned Business Concern
- at least 51% owned & controlled by a woman
HUBZone Small Business Concern
- located in historically underutilized business zones.
Vetera-Owned Small Business Concern
- at least 51% owned by one or more veterans.
Service Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business
- at least 51% owned by one or more service disabled veterans
- establishes a program that authorizes the SBA to enter into all types of contracts with other agencies and subcontracts to eligible section 8a firms.
- awarded in sole source or competitive basis.
- sole source awards must be less that $4m or only one section 8a firm is available.
-women-owned small businesses.
- Economically disadvantaged women-owned small business.
Organizational and Consultant Conflicts fo Interest (OCI)
- unfair competitive advantage
- consult and coordinate regularly with eh CO/AO/RLA during market research.
- consult widely and be inclusive when researching.
- document all actions and org and people consulted.
Using Existing Awards
- awards centrally available for worldwide use.
- determine if they meet your needs.
- Leader/Associate Award (LWA) (assistance).
- Indefinite Delivery/Indefinite Quantity (IDIQ) (acquisition).
Reaching the Market place
use USG-wide portal to industry-
Global Development Alliance
-public-private alliance for improving social and economic conditions in developing countries.
- co-designed, co-funded, co-managed.
- shared risks, responsibilities and rewards.
- leverage USAID funding with non-traditional development partner funding
Documeting the source
- a memo including-
- market resource conducted
- methods used
- organizations included
- techniques employed