5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- SOD YAHWEH
- ta biblia
- The "Shema"
- Synoptic Gospels
- a Matthew Mark and Luke--because they each include many of the same stories, very few differences in sequence
- b Deuteronomy 6:4-5: "Hear oh Israel" -> single most important commandment
- c council of the Lord, "call narrative" in Isaiah 6
- d An appearance of God, frequently associated with fire (i.e. Moses & burning bush, Mount Sinai with thunder & lightning)
- e Greek term for bible, the books
5 Multiple choice questions
- Cyrus issued the decree of liberation to the Jews, concerning which Daniel had prayed and prophesied. The edict of Cyrus for the rebuilding of the Temple in Jerusalem marked a great epoch in the history of the Jewish people. Repatriation
- Members of the highest order of angels, often pictured with three sets of wings; Isaiah saw them in a vision of God sitting on a throne in the temple. A seraphim placed coal in Isaiah's mouth to cleanse him. Depiction of how powerful God is
- Growing sense of separation between the divine and the human, questions of accessibility to gods and of "new world" to come ruled by the divine
- 8th-7th century prophet. Very controversial and most quoted book. The holy one of Israel
- One and only one god who exhibited the powers and qualities of all gods. Variety of gods as a supreme manifestation of one supreme being
5 True/False questions
Primeval narratives → Genesis 12-36. Section giving accounts of the ancestors of the Israelite people.
Samaritans → laymen who tried to preserve the Jewish faith through pious and legalistic practices, and although as a group they were strongly censured in Jesus' sermons, some of them were friends and supporters of Jesus and his disciples.
Julius Wellhausen → German biblical scholar who researched the first five books of the Old Testament (Torah). Advanced the theory of documentary hypothesis, arguing that it's origins are redactions of the four texts: yahwist, elohist, deteuronomist, and priestly
Sadducees → laymen who tried to preserve the Jewish faith through pious and legalistic practices, and although as a group they were strongly censured in Jesus' sermons, some of them were friends and supporters of Jesus and his disciples.
Isaiah sections/authors → 8th-7th century prophet. Very controversial and most quoted book. The holy one of Israel