5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The "Shema"
- Isaiah ben Amoz
- Latter prophets
- a 8th-7th century prophet. Very controversial and most quoted book. The holy one of Israel
- b A group of Jews that withdrew from the world into the desert in order to live a life of prayer and asceticism. Their name means " the pious ones" or " the healers."
- c Identity and choices, recognition of personal decisions, importance of the individual
- d Deuteronomy 6:4-5: "Hear oh Israel" -> single most important commandment
- e Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, "The Twelve"
5 Multiple choice questions
- Matthew Mark and Luke--because they each include many of the same stories, very few differences in sequence
- Greek term for bible, the books
- a common way of referring to the Hebrew Bible, derived from the first letters of the Hebrew names of its three sections: Torah (T), Prophets (N), and Writings (K).
- People who lived in the area of israel called Samaria. The Samaritans came from Jews who married non-Jews.
- Primary post-Sinai symbol of the presence of God constructed by Moses at Mt. Sinai. Said to hold Ten Commandments, called "the footstool of YahWeh," leads to Promised Land
5 True/False questions
SOD YAHWEH → council of the Lord, "call narrative" in Isaiah 6
Authorship of the Pentateuch → Primary post-Sinai symbol of the presence of God constructed by Moses at Mt. Sinai. Said to hold Ten Commandments, called "the footstool of YahWeh," leads to Promised Land
Apocrypha → 3-4: Crossing the Jordan in same way they went out of Egypt
5: Circumsize the males and keep the Pentateuch
6: the city -> 7 days (Genesis and "7th day") of marching and walls will fall down, "the shout"
Syncretism → One and only one god who exhibited the powers and qualities of all gods. Variety of gods as a supreme manifestation of one supreme being
Edict of Cyrus → Ten Commandments
1. do not murder
2. do not commit adultery
3. honor father and mother
4. do not covet
5. no false idols
6. do not take the Lord's name in vain
7. Do not lie
8. Do not steal
9. no other gods before God
10. Keep sabbath holy