5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Midnight judges
- Special Commissions
- John Marshall
- First time one political party replaced another in power in the United States
- a Chief Justice of the Supreme Court appointed by John Adams
- b Jefferson was under pressure to remove all members of this party from federal jobs, but he kept many of them.
- c The Federalists appointed to be judges by Adams needed this paperwork to assume their new roles. Jefferson ordered James Madison to withhold these papers.
- d Significance of Thomas Jefferson taking office. Proof a peaceful leadership change was possible.
- e The 16 judges that were added by the Judiciary Act of 1801 called this because Adams signed their appointments late on the last day of his administration.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Jefferson worked to reduce it to 3,200 troops and 7 Navy ships
- The power of the Supreme Court to declare an act of Congress to be unconstitutional.
- Member of Virginia House of Burgesses, Ambassador to France, Secretary of State, Vice President.
- Jefferson's Secretary of State
- a "midnight appointment" by John Adams, he sued Secretary of State James Madison for delivery of his commission, which was being withheld by order of President Jefferson.
5 True/False Questions
Walk → How Jefferson got to the Capitol Building for his Inauguration.
Greatly increased the Supreme Court's authority. → Judicial Review.
Albert Gallatin → Jefferson was under pressure to remove all members of this party from federal jobs, but he kept many of them.
Boardinghouse → Jefferson worked with Gallatin to reduce these.
Judiciary Act of 1789 → Congressional act passed in 1789 to form the federal court system and to authorize writs of mandamus. Partly ruled unconstitutional by Marbury vs. Madison.