process of converting a description of a location (such as street addresses) to a location on the Earth's surface.
once the geographic coordinates are assigned, the data can be entered and mapped in GIS.
What is GPS visualizer?
websites where you can geocode addresses.
Name the 5 steps of geocoding
1)Identify your data set
2) Preparing reference and address data
3) Create an address locator in ArcCatalog
4) Geocode the records in the study area
5) Fix and rematch the data
Step #1 Identify your data set- where can you get them?
1)You may be provided with a dataset
2) download your data from a municipality, agency or organization, the Census bureau, or a data service provider. (or other internet sources)
3) collect your own data
Step #2 Prepare reference and address data:What can you do to prepare you reference and address data to provide the most matches?
1) Make sure all abbreviations are the same.
2) Make sure all spellings are the same
3) Make sure all the reference areas are complete
Step #3 - Create an address locator in ArcCatalog. Why would you do this?
1) One of the first steps to do.
2) allows you to save settings in a reusable file
3) allows you to select the style that will be most appropriate for your dataset and reference dataset.
Step #4 - Geocode the records
1) add the table of addresses you want to geocode to ArcMap.
2) use the address locator to to create point features that represent the locations of the address.
3) click "go" to create
Step #5 - Fix and rematch
Fix the outtakes and rematch