5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Carolingian Miniscule
- Pepin III (the Short)
- a ruler who appealed to Pope Zacharis; crowned "King by the Grace of God"
- b the term for the grant of land between nobles
- c wife of Clovis who was a Roman Catholic
- d certain rights/lands granted in return for specific services
- e scribes developed this, which was a modern form of writing upper and lower case letters
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- this document divided Charlemagne's Empire into three parts
- "alternative service"; service given other than military service by the vassal to the lord
- he received France from the Treaty of Verdun
- a squire could be made this after battle in which he fought gallantly
- iron gate used to keep people out of a castle
5 True/False Questions
Manor → at age 7, the son of a noble placed with the father's lord or another noble and served as this where he was strictly disciplined and learned etiquette
Page → when the vassal becomes the lord's "man"
Feudalism → political (social and economic) system that developed in Europe when local nobles began to govern their own land in absence of a strong central government
Homage → when the vassal becomes the lord's "man"
Alcuin → a scholar from England who ran the school at Aachen and developed a program of study based on the Bible and Latin writings