5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What four things allowed the Muslims to easily conquer the people of India?
- What are the Five Pillars of Islam?
- What stopped Muslim expansion into Europe?
- Why did the Muslim world expand under the Umayyad Dynasty?
- a 1. Hindus had only one warrior caste to fight
2. Hindu generals sabotaged each other to try and get the glory
3. Hindu war elephants spooked in battle and trampled soldiers
4. Hindu military tactics were out of date because of isolationism
- b 1. Because the Arabian peninsula was becoming overpopulated so they were looking for more territory
2. One of the goals of Islam is to go out and convert people to the religion
- c 1. Must believe in Allah and Muhammad is his prophet
2. Pray 5 times a day facing Mecca
3. Give to the poor
4. Fast during the month of Ramadan
5. Take a hajj to Mecca at least once in your life
- d When the Muslims lost the Battle of Tours to the Franks, it ended their ability to expand in to Europe
- e Arabic name for God
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Shrine originally that held a black stone of the nature gods but became a holy site for the Muslims
- Muhammad's father died before he was born and his mother died before he was 6. He lived with his uncle and became a merchant, working for Khadija. The fell in love and were married. He would become the prophet of Islam when he turned 40, would leave Mecca, later return and die there
- Means "ruler"; title taken by the Seljuk Turks when they ruled the Muslim Empire
- Muslims that believe only descendants of Muhammad and his son-in-law Ali should rule
- The angel that spoke to Muhammad and told him he was the last prophet of God
5 True/False Questions
Minaret → Tower found at a mosque that people use to call the faithful to prayer
How did Muslims treat nonbelievers of Islam? → 1. Hindus were polytheistic and would not accept Allah
2. Hindus worshipped idols which was against Islam
3. Hindus had a caste system in their society which the Muslims disliked because they believed all Muslims were equal
Jihad → Holy war
What caused the split in the Muslim religion, name the two groups, and what each group believed? → Because the military was no longer seen as important when the Muslims could not expand further in to Europe, the Muslim world started to look to leaders who could make them wealthy and powerful - which were the Abbasids, who were merchants
Abu Bakr → Arabic name for God