5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- nitrates and nitrites
- secondary treatment
- a common in preserved meats such as bacon, pepperoni. KILL microbes (Cidal agent) like salmonella by inhibiting enzymes used in ATP productions. Preserve red color of hemoglobin.
- b treating "clarified" water. COntains microbe, possible pathogens, dissolved organics, suspended organics.
- c (genus) bacteria associated with unpasteurized cheese and "pre-cooked meats"-hot dogs, deli meats
- d pathogens are trapped in floc. They get killed by _________: protozoans eat bacteria
- e brief exposure to high temperature. Can't be too long or changes the quality of food. Used mostly in milk. Kills ALL pathogens, and reduce number of spoilage bacteria (extend shelf-life)
5 Multiple choice questions
- Organic acids. Added to fruits, margarine, meat
- physical separation. Some "biosolids" sink, some floats: grease, oil. Skimmed off. Reducing total amount of organics remaining in water. Little microbial activity involve
- G.R.A.S. few resctrictions. Most will inhibit the uptake of key amino acids (key nutrients). All lower pH so enzymes won't work-inhibit growths.
- (species) bacteria that will grow in food. Secrete toxin. Causes vomiting, diarrhea. Source: soil bacteria in dust.
- end product of anaerobic sludge digester. Organics will be fermented or organic acids + carbon dioxide. It is then converted to _________ by methanogens.
5 True/False questions
stable sludge → Organic acids. Added to fruits, margarine, meat
Injection of ozone → Disinfection after secondary treatment depends on next use. Very reactive, very damaging to living thing
sand filters → permitted for some foods. Will sterilize but can/will cause chemical changes in food. Creates peroxides that degrade proteins. End product: NH3 and amines. Degrade fats, short chain fatty acids. Was concern might create carcinogen.
140C for 2 sec → ultra high temp. Usually sterilized milk, if sealed, don't need to refrigerate.
Staphylococcus aureus → (species) bacteria that grow in food, orginally from skin. Secrete toxin into food that induces vomiting and diarrhea. Self-limiting. Associated with SALTY foods.