5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- what specific advantage did the europeans have over non-europeans in arriving at the americas first?
- ibn al-nafis
- a Famous classical mathematician, wrote a book that summarized Hindu mathematics, discovered pi, calculated the length of the solar system, and the circumference of the earth during India's Classical Era.
- b The Muqaddimah English: Ibn Khaldun's Introduction, also known as the Muqaddimah of Ibn Khaldun or the Prolegomena is a book written by the Maghrebian Muslim historian Ibn Khaldun in 1377 which records an early view of universal history. Some modern thinkers view it as the first work dealing with the philosophy of history or the social science of sociology demography, historiography or cultural history. and economics, The Muqaddimah also deals with Islamic theology, political theory and the natural sciences of biology and chemistry. Ibn Khaldun wrote the work in 1377 as the preface or first book of his planned world history, the Kitab al-Ibar but already in his lifetime it became regarded as an independent work.
- c locational advantage of being closest to the americas geographically
- d "Non-action," "not doing," or "inaction"; the Taoist form of action, meaning to do nothing in such a way that all things are accomplished and the world is brought into subjection to the Tao.
- e 13th century Syrian Arab from Damascus
pioneered sci fi, from Syria; Arab physician who propsed the making of encyclopedia and medical writings and science fiction;
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- (1924-96) The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, development of scientific disciplines is discontinuous, and at critical junctures mass changes occurred/paradigm view
- different parts of the world were in approximately the same level of capitalist development in 1492. what made europe surge ahead was the enormous wealth is acquired from the americas, the slave plantations and slave trade.
- P= MV/Q A theory asserting that the quantity of money available determines the price level and that the growth rate in the quantity of money available determines the inflation rate.
- establishing something (e.g. gold or silver) as the legal tender of a country
- An economic theory that government should not regulate or interfere with commerce
5 True/False Questions
the "caribbean school of history" represented by CLR James, Eric Williams and many other scholars writing since the 1930s have forcefully made the following argument → different parts of the world were in approximately the same level of capitalist development in 1492. what made europe surge ahead was the enormous wealth is acquired from the americas, the slave plantations and slave trade.
which class came to dominate european society after 1492 → merchant- entrpreneurial class which acquired enormous wealth
Triangular Trade → Chanakya
ibn al-haytham → muslim mathematician who produced a book called Optics which revolutionized ideas about vision. he showed that people see objects because rays pass from the objects to the eyes, not vice versa
al-khwarizmi → "Non-action," "not doing," or "inaction"; the Taoist form of action, meaning to do nothing in such a way that all things are accomplished and the world is brought into subjection to the Tao.