5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- import substitution
- identify the dates Blaut suggests for the rise of capitalism in europe
- Feudal Mode of Production
- What is precisely the overall argument of the author in this chapter?
- treaty of tordesillas
- a 1492-1688
- b different parts of the world were in approximately the same level of capitalist development in 1492. what made europe surge ahead was the enormous wealth is acquired from the americas, the slave plantations and slave trade.
- c A mercantilist strategy for economic growth in which a country restricts imports in order to spur demand for locally produced goods.
- d relationship between the lord (the owner of the means, could be a king) and to whom the lord owes protection (the peasants that are living on their land). Blend of chiefdom political organizations
- e a 1494 agreement between Portugal and Spain, declaring that newly discovered lands to the west of an imaginary line in the Atlantic Ocean would belong to Spain and newly discovered lands to the east of the line would belong to Portugal.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The doctrine that land and its products are the only true wealth.
- 13th century Syrian Arab from Damascus
pioneered sci fi, from Syria; Arab physician who propsed the making of encyclopedia and medical writings and science fiction;
- establishing something (e.g. gold or silver) as the legal tender of a country
- Who: Pizarro is a Spanish conquistador born in Trujillo, Spain.
What: Pizarro led the first group of Europeans over the Andes mountains in South America and. On November 15, 1532, Pizarro led a group of 168 men into Cajamarca in Peru. What they saw was an army of 80,000 Inca warriors. On November 16, 1532, Inca leader, Ataxalpa agreed to meet with the Spaniards but decided to unarm all of his warriors for festivities rather than war. In the end, this decision turned out to be Ataxalpa's undoing because the 168 Spaniards led by Pizarro were able to overrun the Inca without one of the Spaniards dying.
When: 15th to 16th Century
Significance: The main significance of Pizarro was that he was able to conquer one of the biggest South American empires of that time, the Incas. His massacre of the 7,000 Incas with just 168 men happened because of geographical advantages and technological advancements over the Incas (according to Jared Diamond). One major advantage was the European horses over the South American llamas. The Spanish horsemen were known throughout Europe for their exceptional maneuverability and speed. Another advantage was the European steel over the South American bronze. The Spanish were able to use guns while the Incas merely had spears and arrows. Yet another advantage was the Spanish writing. Past Spanish battles were recorded and were used at later periods, but the Inca were not able to read or write. Pizarro was able to read about the strategies and experiences of past conquerors and use this knowledge to his advantage.
- Persian scientist, mathematician, astronomer/astrologer, and author. He is often cited as "the father of algebra", which was named after a part of the title of his book, Hisab al-jabr w'al-muqabala, along with the algorism number system
5 True/False questions
pull factor → Attractions that draw migrants to a certain place, such as a pleasant climate and employment or educational opportunities.
Price Revolution of 16th century → relationship between the lord (the owner of the means, could be a king) and to whom the lord owes protection (the peasants that are living on their land). Blend of chiefdom political organizations
Muqaddimah → Rationalists. believed that human reason is more reliable than tradition.Originated in the 8th century in Basra (Iraq) when Wasil ibn Ata. left the teaching lessons of Hasan al-Basri after a theological dispute.
deindustrialization → process of social and economic change caused by removal of industry
what does the author mean by "extra european economy" that was instrumental in the rise of capitalism in Europe and not anywhere else? → to make as much money as possible and get rich quick