5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- ibn rushd
- what specific advantage did the europeans have over non-europeans in arriving at the americas first?
- import substitution
- a tried to blend Aristotle's and Plato's views with those of Islam- argued that Greek philosophy had the same goal: to find the truth.
- b A mercantilist strategy for economic growth in which a country restricts imports in order to spur demand for locally produced goods.
- c locational advantage of being closest to the americas geographically
- d process of social and economic change caused by removal of industry
- e Chanakya
5 Multiple choice questions
- The process of buying a good in one market at a low price and selling it in another market at a higher price
- Attractions that draw migrants to a certain place, such as a pleasant climate and employment or educational opportunities.
- merchant- entrpreneurial class which acquired enormous wealth
- created the first astrolabic clock that helped you tell time from the shadows. was an astronomer-Cairo
- Who: Pizarro is a Spanish conquistador born in Trujillo, Spain.
What: Pizarro led the first group of Europeans over the Andes mountains in South America and. On November 15, 1532, Pizarro led a group of 168 men into Cajamarca in Peru. What they saw was an army of 80,000 Inca warriors. On November 16, 1532, Inca leader, Ataxalpa agreed to meet with the Spaniards but decided to unarm all of his warriors for festivities rather than war. In the end, this decision turned out to be Ataxalpa's undoing because the 168 Spaniards led by Pizarro were able to overrun the Inca without one of the Spaniards dying.
When: 15th to 16th Century
Significance: The main significance of Pizarro was that he was able to conquer one of the biggest South American empires of that time, the Incas. His massacre of the 7,000 Incas with just 168 men happened because of geographical advantages and technological advancements over the Incas (according to Jared Diamond). One major advantage was the European horses over the South American llamas. The Spanish horsemen were known throughout Europe for their exceptional maneuverability and speed. Another advantage was the European steel over the South American bronze. The Spanish were able to use guns while the Incas merely had spears and arrows. Yet another advantage was the Spanish writing. Past Spanish battles were recorded and were used at later periods, but the Inca were not able to read or write. Pizarro was able to read about the strategies and experiences of past conquerors and use this knowledge to his advantage.
5 True/False questions
mutazilites → The Muqaddimah English: Ibn Khaldun's Introduction, also known as the Muqaddimah of Ibn Khaldun or the Prolegomena is a book written by the Maghrebian Muslim historian Ibn Khaldun in 1377 which records an early view of universal history. Some modern thinkers view it as the first work dealing with the philosophy of history or the social science of sociology demography, historiography or cultural history. and economics, The Muqaddimah also deals with Islamic theology, political theory and the natural sciences of biology and chemistry. Ibn Khaldun wrote the work in 1377 as the preface or first book of his planned world history, the Kitab al-Ibar but already in his lifetime it became regarded as an independent work.
wu-wei → "Non-action," "not doing," or "inaction"; the Taoist form of action, meaning to do nothing in such a way that all things are accomplished and the world is brought into subjection to the Tao.
the "caribbean school of history" represented by CLR James, Eric Williams and many other scholars writing since the 1930s have forcefully made the following argument → slave based industries and slave trade were crucial casual forces in british and french industrializations
Triangular Trade → The backbone of New England's economy during the colonial period. Ships from New England sailed first to Africa, exchanging New England rum for slaves. The slaves were shipped from Africa to the Caribbean (this was known as the Middle Passage, when many slaves died on the ships). In the Caribbean, the slaves were traded for sugar and molasses. Then the ships returned to New England, where the molasses were used to make rum.
what does the author mean by "extra european economy" that was instrumental in the rise of capitalism in Europe and not anywhere else? → to make as much money as possible and get rich quick