5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Direct Method
- Integrated Language Approach
- Total Physical Response (TPR)
- a Use of acting out, games, and skill- kinesthetic
- b Idea Proficiency Test
- c Kansas English Language Proficiency Assessment
- d Students listen to dialogue, then answer a series of questions, visual aids & pantomime used
- e Language is learned best when it is whole and in context. Focus on meaning and using language to communicate reading writing, speaking, and listening are all essential components.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Limited English Proficiency
- two letters that are pronounced together with each letter retaining it pronunciation
- must be attached to a root word to have meaning (suffixes and prefixes)
- no state shall deny education opportunity b/c of race, color, or national origin by failure of an educational agency to provide services to overcome language barriers that impede participation of students in its instructional programs
- affixes that can be added to a morpheme without changing its part of speech/suffixes
5 True/False questions
Cummins → says it takes 5 to 7 years to learn academic English (new research suggest now 7-10 years)
The Silent Way → Students take responsibility for their own learning. Teacher is silent most of the time. Speaks to give clues, not model language.
discourse → Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol. A system for teaching language and content effectively.
CALLA (Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach) → teaches explicit learning strategies while language is taught through content. Great for middle school and high school teachers.
demonstrative pronouns → stand in place for a person, thing that must be pointed to (That car is the one I want)