5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Christopher Columbus
- a mixed Spanish and Native American population.
- b economic system based on private ownership and the investment of resources. profits from exploration allowed for reinvestments in other areas. lead to inflation in Europe.
- c lands that are controlled by another nation.
- d sea captain made voyage from Spain in 1492. discovered island with Taino people on it. discovered new world.
- e natives farmed, ranched or mined for Spanish landlords. many laborers worked to death. sometimes mestizo children worked for parents.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Chinese-Muslim admiral. led all 7 treasure ship voyages. distributed gifts, gained tribute countries.
- manufactured goods go to Africa, goods exchanged for slaves, slaves transported to West Indies, sold to Americas
- country sells more goods than it buys. ultimate goal to become self-sufficient, not dependent on other countries for goods. colonies played role of supplier and provided a market.
- Portuguese supporter of exploration. founded navigational school, sought wealth outside Europe.
- buying and selling of Africans for work in the Americas. became massive enterprise. many African rulers participated.
5 True/False Questions
Treaty of Tordesillas → treaty to respect the line Pope Alexander VI drew. split up new world between Portuguese and Spanish. spurred age of exploration, colonization.
conquistador → economic system based on private ownership and the investment of resources. profits from exploration allowed for reinvestments in other areas. lead to inflation in Europe.
Yonglo → power struggle after his father, Hongwu's death. moved royal court to Beijing. launched treasure ship voyages to impress world with splendor and power of Ming China.
joint-stock company → investors buy shares of stock to reduce risks of investing money in colonization. responsible for establishing Jamestown; England's first North American colony.
Qing Dynasty → upheld Confucian beliefs, social structures, made frontiers safe. accepted Dutch as trading partners.