5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- middle passage
- Kang Xi
- Zheng He
- joint-stock company
- a voyage that brought captured Africans to West Indies, North and South America. middle leg of transatlantic trade triangle.
- b Chinese-Muslim admiral. led all 7 treasure ship voyages. distributed gifts, gained tribute countries.
- c investors buy shares of stock to reduce risks of investing money in colonization. responsible for establishing Jamestown; England's first North American colony.
- d economic system based on private ownership and the investment of resources. profits from exploration allowed for reinvestments in other areas. lead to inflation in Europe.
- e emperor of Qing Dynasty. enjoyed company of Jesuits at court.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Portuguese supporter of exploration. founded navigational school, sought wealth outside Europe.
- early portuguese explorer. hoped to obtain popular goods from Asia, Christianize.
- establish direct trade throughout Asia. power to mint own money, make treaties, raise own armies. established trading headquarters in Batavia, conquered nearby islands.
- upheld Confucian beliefs, social structures, made frontiers safe. accepted Dutch as trading partners.
- landed in Mexico, looked to claim land for Spain. overtook Aztec empire.
5 True/False Questions
favorable balance of trade → country sells more goods than it buys. ultimate goal to become self-sufficient, not dependent on other countries for goods. colonies played role of supplier and provided a market.
Hongwu → first Ming emperor. encouraged return to Confucian moral standards. restored merit-based civil service exam system. later became ruthless tyrant.
Mestizo → mixed Spanish and Native American population.
columbian exchange → lived in Manchuria. invaded China, Ming Dynasty collapsed. began Qing Dynasty. expanded empire's borders.
conquistador → spanish explorers who followed Cortés. colonized in Mexico, South America, U.S., first European settlers in America.