5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Vasco da Gama
- Francisco Pizarro
- Christopher Columbus
- a reached India. amazed by spices, rare skills, precious gems. gave Portugal a direct sea route to India.
- b Incan ruler. forces crushed. kidnapped and strangled after converting to Christianity.
- c mixed Spanish and Native American population.
- d conquistador who marched into South America and conquered Inca. tricked and killed Incan ruler Atahualpa and took ransom.
- e sea captain made voyage from Spain in 1492. discovered island with Taino people on it. discovered new world.
5 Multiple choice questions
- power struggle after his father, Hongwu's death. moved royal court to Beijing. launched treasure ship voyages to impress world with splendor and power of Ming China.
- upheld Confucian beliefs, social structures, made frontiers safe. accepted Dutch as trading partners.
- voyage that brought captured Africans to West Indies, North and South America. middle leg of transatlantic trade triangle.
- Portuguese supporter of exploration. founded navigational school, sought wealth outside Europe.
- country sells more goods than it buys. ultimate goal to become self-sufficient, not dependent on other countries for goods. colonies played role of supplier and provided a market.
5 True/False questions
Bartolomeu Dias → early portuguese explorer. hoped to obtain popular goods from Asia, Christianize.
encomienda → natives farmed, ranched or mined for Spanish landlords. many laborers worked to death. sometimes mestizo children worked for parents.
Kang Xi → emperor of Qing Dynasty. enjoyed company of Jesuits at court.
colony → first Ming emperor. encouraged return to Confucian moral standards. restored merit-based civil service exam system. later became ruthless tyrant.
Zheng He → Chinese-Muslim admiral. led all 7 treasure ship voyages. distributed gifts, gained tribute countries.