5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- joint-stock company
- Prince Henry
- favorable balance of trade
- a spanish explorers who followed Cortés. colonized in Mexico, South America, U.S., first European settlers in America.
- b investors buy shares of stock to reduce risks of investing money in colonization. responsible for establishing Jamestown; England's first North American colony.
- c Incan ruler. forces crushed. kidnapped and strangled after converting to Christianity.
- d country sells more goods than it buys. ultimate goal to become self-sufficient, not dependent on other countries for goods. colonies played role of supplier and provided a market.
- e Portuguese supporter of exploration. founded navigational school, sought wealth outside Europe.
5 Multiple choice questions
- early portuguese explorer. hoped to obtain popular goods from Asia, Christianize.
- reached India. amazed by spices, rare skills, precious gems. gave Portugal a direct sea route to India.
- The exchange of plants, animals, diseases, and technologies between the Americas and the rest of the world following Columbus's voyages.
- natives farmed, ranched or mined for Spanish landlords. many laborers worked to death. sometimes mestizo children worked for parents.
- economic system based on private ownership and the investment of resources. profits from exploration allowed for reinvestments in other areas. lead to inflation in Europe.
5 True/False questions
Yonglo → power struggle after his father, Hongwu's death. moved royal court to Beijing. launched treasure ship voyages to impress world with splendor and power of Ming China.
Francisco Pizarro → conquistador who marched into South America and conquered Inca. tricked and killed Incan ruler Atahualpa and took ransom.
Ming Dynasty → drove out Mongol rulers. China became dominant power in Asia. had many vassal states that paid tribute.
Kang Xi → first Ming emperor. encouraged return to Confucian moral standards. restored merit-based civil service exam system. later became ruthless tyrant.
colony → lands that are controlled by another nation.