5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Treaty of Tordesillas
- triangular trade
- Hernando Cortés
- Vasco da Gama
- a power struggle after his father, Hongwu's death. moved royal court to Beijing. launched treasure ship voyages to impress world with splendor and power of Ming China.
- b treaty to respect the line Pope Alexander VI drew. split up new world between Portuguese and Spanish. spurred age of exploration, colonization.
- c manufactured goods go to Africa, goods exchanged for slaves, slaves transported to West Indies, sold to Americas
- d landed in Mexico, looked to claim land for Spain. overtook Aztec empire.
- e reached India. amazed by spices, rare skills, precious gems. gave Portugal a direct sea route to India.
5 Multiple choice questions
- lived in Manchuria. invaded China, Ming Dynasty collapsed. began Qing Dynasty. expanded empire's borders.
- sea captain made voyage from Spain in 1492. discovered island with Taino people on it. discovered new world.
- natives farmed, ranched or mined for Spanish landlords. many laborers worked to death. sometimes mestizo children worked for parents.
- The exchange of plants, animals, diseases, and technologies between the Americas and the rest of the world following Columbus's voyages.
- spanish explorers who followed Cortés. colonized in Mexico, South America, U.S., first European settlers in America.
5 True/False questions
Kang Xi → Chinese-Muslim admiral. led all 7 treasure ship voyages. distributed gifts, gained tribute countries.
joint-stock company → investors buy shares of stock to reduce risks of investing money in colonization. responsible for establishing Jamestown; England's first North American colony.
middle passage → drove out Mongol rulers. China became dominant power in Asia. had many vassal states that paid tribute.
favorable balance of trade → buying and selling of Africans for work in the Americas. became massive enterprise. many African rulers participated.
mercantilism → economic system based on private ownership and the investment of resources. profits from exploration allowed for reinvestments in other areas. lead to inflation in Europe.