"Modern Conflict Theory"-separation/tensions in society that propel flow of history
"All of human history is the history of class struggle."
-Flaw of Emphasis-focused on development in class divisions dating back only a few thousand years.
Key ideas of Karl Marx
1. Model of the Social System
2. Theory of Revolution (social change)
Model of the Social System (Marx)
1. Forces of production
2. Relations of production
3. Class consciousness
Forces of Production
-all things connected with society's capacity to produce wealth (goods and services), resources, and level of technological development.
-the amount of labor power--labor theory of value-"price" is equal to value of labor power embedded into it.
Relations of Production
-How wealth is distributed
-the adoption of beliefs and values that are consistent with ones self and class interest
-ability to control both material and symbolic production
"The ruling ideas are in every historical era the ideas of the ruling class."
KARL MARX Theory of Revolution
1. The greater the contribution between the forces & relations of production, the greater the pro___ for the development of class consciousness amount the oppressed.
2. The greater the development of class consciousness among the oppressed the greater the probability of revolution in which power is transferred form the oppressors to the oppressed.
-It is that recognition shared that triggers FALSE consciousness into CLASS consciousness.
"Alienation" Karl Marx
1. Separation of labor from its product
2. Separation of labor from its self interest
3. Separation of labor from its sense of "Species-being"