The Congo basin is in the middle of a giant area that covers most of central Africa. What does this area look like?
It looks like a big soup bowl
What is a basin?
A flat region surrounded by higher land (such as mountains or plateaus)
Which to major rivers flow through central Africa?
Congo and Zambezi
What is the main climate of central Africa?
List three facts about the Okapis
1. Long tongue
2. Feeds on leaves
3. Extremely rare
Why do many in central Africa use slash-and-burn agriculture?
They do it to make more room for fields so they can farm and also for lodging
What is a subsistence farmer?
People who grow only enough food for themselves and their families
Which mineral is the most important to Central Africa's economy?
How did the kingdom of Kongo become rich?
It became rich by trading with Europeans
What did Europeans want from Central Africa? (When they arrived in the 1400s) Why did they want ivory?
They wanted timber, ivory, slaves. They wanted ivory to make furniture, jewelry, and piano keys
Why was there no peace for many central African countries after their independence from European powers?
Before they gained their independence the Europeans divided ethnic groups and forced different groups to live together and this led to conflict
What is the most common non-European language spoken in central Africa?
How do central Africans use European languages compared to African languages?
Central Africans use European languages in business and trade and they use African languages in daily life
What are the main religions of central Africa?
Christianity and Islam
List three examples of African art
Sculptures, wooden masks, and bright cotton gowns
List two facts about the Democratic Republic of the Congo
1. Beligian colony until 1960
2. Very few teachers, doctors, professionals after independence; these problems and war has led to poverty
List two facts about the Central African Republic
1. Has a weak economy
2. Most people are farmers
List two facts about Cameroon
1. Main exports: Cotton, Cacao, and coffee
2. Fairly stable gov't
List two facts about Equatorial Guinea
1. Has had the same president for 25+ years
2. Divided between mainland and five islands
List two facts about Sao Tome and Principe
1. Few resources
2. Political instability
List two facts about Gabon
1. More than half of its income comes from oil
2. Has only had one president since 1967
List two facts about the Republic of Congo
1. Receives much income from oil
2. Civil War in the 1990s hurt the economy
List two facts about Angola
1. 85% are subsistence farmers
2. Republic with an elected president
List two facts about Zambia
1. 85% are farmers
2. Has many copper mines but is hurt by debt and inflation
List two facts about Malawi
1. 83% of people live in villages
2. Almost all are farmers
List four major challenges those living in Central Africa face today
1. Ethnic and Regional conflict
2. Thousands have been killed by civil war in past several years
3. People injured in fighting and can no longer work
4. Many are effected by malaria
What are some things Central African nations must do to improve
Manage agriculture more effectively to prevent malnutrition, stop cutting down forests, and stop destroying the landscape with open pits