5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- 1) Popular sovereignty would be used to decide the question of slavery in the rest of the Mexican Cession.
2) People in the states that were created from this territory would vote whether to be a free state of slave state when they requested admission to the Union.
3) A tough slave law- the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850.
- the President and Congress
- -South thought they had no say
-tried to offer peace
- 1) Controversy over the Wilmot Proviso led to the rise of a new political party.
2) Party was called the Free-Soil Party. It was made up of antislavery Whigs & Democrats.
3) They called for the territory gained in the Mexican-American War to be "free soil" a place where slavery was banned.
4) They chose Dem. Pres. Martin Van Buren as its candidate, he lost to Gen. Zachary Taylor.
- a How did it please the South?
- b The Antislavery Party
- c What was the South's reaction to Lincoln's election? How did Lincoln try to reassure the South?
- d With Lincoln's election, the South felt they no longer had a vote in the national gov. They believed the who was against their interests, especially slavery.
- e As the election of ______ drew near, the long & bitter debate over slavery had left the nation divided.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Senator that the Kansas-Nebraska Act was pushed through, proposed that slavery in the new territories be decided by popular sovereignty. This would also undo the Missouri Compromise.
- Lincoln challenged Douglass to what?
- Both men had dated Mary Todd, but she ended up marrying _________.
- Confederate leaders then decided to capture the fort and opened fire on ________. After 34 hours, the U.S. troops surrendered.
- How did divisions among the Democrats help lead to the election of Republican Abraham Lincoln in 1860?
5 True/False Questions
the Compromise of 1850 → Henry Clay stepped forward with a plan to end this crisis. What was his nickname?
South Carolina → antislavery settler from CT who led 7 men to a proslavery settlement near Pottawatomie Creek
civil war → After the Kansas-Nebraska Act, the nation had moved closer to what?
war → Between 1820-1848, 4 new slave states & 4 new free states were admitted to the Union. Once again, it was balanced. It made a total of how many slave and free states?
to stop slavery from spreading into Western territories → Explain what Lincoln meant by: "Both parties condemned war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive..."