5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Urban Revolution
- Roman Republic
- Julius Caesar
- a Between approximately 4000 and 1500 BCE human societies in certain river valleys transformed from Neolithic farming villages into more complex urban societies. What might this transition be called?
- b During a civil war the Roman Senate allowed him to become a dictator but he refused to give it up and the senate eventually killed him. But his name came to mean "emperor".
- c Christianity and Buddhism, though fundamentally very different both are offshoots of older exclusive ethnic-based religions. Each spread throughout the reminents of a great classical empire of the time. Because anyone could join these new religions, they could be described as _______.
- d Both Greece and Japan owe their advancement to the fact that they ______ ideas from other more sophisticated regions (China in the case of Japan and the Middle East in the case of Europe)
- e This city state was ruled by a senate, spoke Latin, and borrowed heavily from Greek culture. They militarily expanded their territory for centuries but the senate eventually was overthrown by an imperial system.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Resulted not only in a more reliable food source, but also in a shifting of dependancy and power to males over females, the claiming and defending of land, and the establishment of the first political and religious institutions.
- Chinese religion from 500s BCE that emphasized following the mystical and indescribable "Way." It celebrated the chaos and contradictions of reality as well as the harmony of nature. The Yin and Yang symbolizes many aspects of this religion.
- This body of Water separates Europe and Africa
Called himself the First Emperor. He united China and buried himself with hundreds of terracotta soldiers.
- The name of the first culture in the world to develop cities.
5 True/False questions
Huns → All three of the classical empires (Romans, Han, and Gupta) faced the threat of invasion by this central Asian pastoral nomadic group.
Buddhism → Chinese religion from 500s BCE that emphasized following the mystical and indescribable "Way." It celebrated the chaos and contradictions of reality as well as the harmony of nature. The Yin and Yang symbolizes many aspects of this religion.
BCE → Dates that countdown backwards to the year zero.
Harappans → Classical Rome and China both had new foreign religions that spread widely in their empires due to the fact that both had built networks of these.
Patriarchal → Before agriculture, men and women are believed to have a greater degree of equality. But after the rise of agriculture, most human societies became ________