5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Sea dogs
- Francisco Coronado
- Ferdinand Magellan
- Amerigo Vespucci
- Bartolome de Las Casas
- a Called the "Protector of the Indians"
- b Looked for the "Cities of Gold" while he explored southwest parts of the United States
- c his crew were the first to circumnavigate the globe
- d a group of English sailors whom Queen Elizabeth encouraged to raid Spanish treasure ships.
- e Americas were named after him because he was the first to realize that the land discovered by Columbus were not part of Asia - they were a "New World"
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Spanish monarchs who financed Columbus's voyage to the Americas
- water route to Asia through North America sought by European explorers
- People of mixed Spanish and Native American ancestry
- Started a navigation school and was called "The Navigator"
- people who were sent to convert native people to Christianity
5 True/False Questions
New France → One of Spain's viceroroyalties in North and Central America
African Diaspora → The removal of people from Africa to new territories to use as slave labor
Encomienda → Large Spanish estates
missions → Settlements created by Spain and controlled by the church whose goal was to convert Native Americans to Christianity
Slavery → a ship that used square or triangular sails to travel long distances swiftly, developed by Prince Henry's School of Navigation