5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- How did the October War lay the groundwork for peace?
- what are the central issues for the US in the ME today?
- Why has the US stood by Israel throughout the years? How was this drawn criticism?
- for what 4 reasons did the US maintain an active role in the ME?
- a It won the admiration of many in the US as a model of democracy in the ME. Also a strategic ally in the region. Israel's treatment of the Palestinians has drawn more intense criticism.
- b the early battlefield successes of teh Arab armies had soothed the sting of the 1967 war. Arab pride was partially restored
- c the movement for establishing the state of Israel
- d to insure a steady flow of oil; long term stability, power and influence; concern about nuclear proliferation; has long been enmeshed in efforts to settle conflict between Israel and its Arab neighbors
- e Confronted by the wide appeal of Islamist political movements, many of which oppose US policies. Also growing demand for oil
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 694 billion dollars in taxpayers' dollars, 4,3oo US soldiers killed, 21,ooo wounded, and 25 percent suffered from psychological issues.
- Turkey has been a loyal supporter of the US' policies and an important member of NATO. Their repressive treatment of 12 million Kurds has raised concerns.
- When Pahlavi was accepted into the US for medical treatment, the Iranians were outraged and believed the US was plotting a counter-revolution. They held the hostages for over a year
- That Obama would rather talk it out than take action
- President during Iran hostage crisis
5 True/False Questions
Yasir Arafat → Palestinian statesman who was the Chairman of the PLO
Lebanon's Civil War → A wide body of literature that lays out legal principles and norms but is not a legal code or single document.
How has life changed for Iranians since the Islamist Revolution? → Tunisia-first to achieve democracy
Egypt-over threw Mubarak, under a military rule
Syria-still working on it
Iran-what does the US believe about Iran's intentions for a nuclear program? → Because of the long history of friendship with Israel and the US leaders see it as a way to reduce regional instability and conflict
How and why was the shah overthrown? How did Iran feel about the US? → the early battlefield successes of teh Arab armies had soothed the sting of the 1967 war. Arab pride was partially restored