5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- anti-histamines GERO
- Non-benzodiazepine Sedative-hypnotic Breast Feeding
- Beta blocker MOA
- alpha 2-adrenergic agonist Brest feeding
- Benzo-diazapines SE
- a drowsiness, lack of coordination (impaired driving skills), cognitive impairements, paradoxical effects (aggression, insomnia, anxiety, seizure, irritable, impulsive).
- b More sensitive to the SE/AE and increased risk for falls while taking these drugs, used cautiously. lower dose recommended.
- c Will pass into breastmilk, not recommended,
- d no
- e Block the effects of epinephrine and norepinephrine from beta-adrenergic receptors throughout the body (beta 1 and beta 2); decrease HR and BP associated with anxiety, has NO effect on cognition
5 Multiple choice questions
- first-generation antihistamine to block histamine at the H1 receptor sites in CNS
- do not drink grapefruit juice with medication, can cause drug toxicity
- Prescribed lower doses; more likely to cause mental confusion, hypoglycemia
- • depression, worsening
• suicidal ideation
• aggressive behavior
• complex sleep-related behavior
withdrawal if abrupt D/C
- increased CNS depression may occur when given with other CNS depressants ((alcohol, opiods and barbiturates )
5 True/False questions
Beta blocker Monitoring Test → Use with caution
Beta blocker Patient Education → Report SOB, new-onset depression or worsen existing depression. Start lowest and go slow. Do not suddenly stop taking.Do not stand or sit up too quickly; hold onto railings when going up/down steps. Educate diabetics to check glucose levels often.
Beta blocker Pediatric → Prescribed lower doses; more likely to cause mental confusion, hypoglycemia
Beta blocker SE → decrease sexual ability, dizziness or light-headedness, fatigue or weakness; difficulty breathing or wheezing, shortness of breath
Benzo-diazapines EE → first line drug used to treat acute anxiety and agitation SHORT term (PRN), alcohol withdrawal, anxiety related to surgery and procedures, insomnia, seizures. Should not be given longer than 2-4 weeks, used as prn to treat acute anxiety and rapidly relieve the symtptoms.