5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- colonization of England; they cut down primeval forests and developed heavy clay soil of central England for cultivation
- Baptism and Anointing of the Sick
- manual labor
- development of Common Law
- Philip tried to collect taxes from clergy without papal consent
- a Over what issue did Philip IV and Pope Boniface clash?
- b What was the greatest achievement of the Anglo-Saxons?
- c What was Henry II's greatest contribution to the growth of strong central government in England?
- d What type of behavior/activity was stressed in the Benedictine Rule?
- e What sacraments were the faithful permitted to receive during "Church lockout"?
5 Multiple choice questions
- What was the "key" issue over which popes and Holy Roman Emperors clashed?
- What heresy was used by Philip II to justify his military action(s) in southern France?
- What was the issue over which Henry II and Thomas Becket quarreled?
- What were the goals of the Cluniac movement?
- What non-religious (non-dogmatic) reform was instituted by Pope Gregory VII?
5 True/False questions
1owning land and 2participating in many occupations like trade and handicrafts → What restrictions did the Catholic Church impose on Jews during the Middle Ages?
pope relinquished demand to rule religious estates in Germany → What sacraments were the faithful permitted to receive during "Church lockout"?
1set minimum age for marriage, 2Church courts fined men who seriously injured wives (rule of thumb), and 3double standard-Church punished women for offenses more harshly than men → In what ways did the Church attempt to protect women during the Middle Ages?
ruled England - Normandy - Anjou (northern France south of Normandy) → What concession to the Holy Roman Emperor(s) did the Catholic Church make as a result of the Concordat of Worms?
every vassal swore first allegiance to William over all other lords, making him the liege lord → What types of social services did monasteries and convents provide during the Middle Ages?