5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Strep bovis
- Protective mechanisms- Ecoli
- K1 capsule
- Vancomycin resistance
- a Capsule in K1 antigen
- b meningitis
- c Colorectal cancer
- d Neck swelling, low grade fever, pseudomembranous pharyngitis
Has a 3% mortality rate
- e MOA: Vancomycin binds to D-alanyl-D-alanine termini in cell wall peptide precursors and prevents the formation of peptidoglycan.
MOResistance: Involves a change in the peptide precursor structure that alters the vancomycin binding site from a
D-alanyl-D-alamine --> D-alanine-D-lactate
-Substitution of D lactate in the place of D alanine during peptidoglycan cell wall synthesis
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- rubeola; transmission: respiratory droplets; symptoms: hacking cough, sneezing, nasal discharge, eye redness, sensitivity to light, high fever CHARACTERISTIC RED RASH; Koplik spots: red patched with white grain-like center appears on gum line; vaccine: MMR
- Treats TB
- Herpes (1&2); 1: above the waist; 2: below the waist- causing painful genital rash
- -Nitroimidazoles are around to clean up organisms that the big drug classes-penicillins, cephalosporins, etc miss. Worried about anerobes? Metro is there for you. Thinking about parasites in your pt w diarrhea? Try metro
Treats: Antiprotozoal antibiotic: drug of choice in extraluminal amebiasis and trichomoniasis; effective against bacterial anaerobes, including B fragilis and in antibiotic-induced colitis resulting from C difficile.
Tox: Peripheral neuropathy, GI distress, ethanol intolerance, mutagenic potential.
- facial pain, headache, black necrotic eschar
-Present as negative in blood cultures test
5 True/False Questions
Staph aureus → DISEASE: Infection: Impetigo, Cellulitis, Abscesses, Wound infections, (vomiting, no fever). Septic arthritis, osteomyelitis. Pneumonia (hosp). Bacteremia & endocarditis. Toxins: Scalded-Skin syndrome, Gastroenteritis, Toxic Shock Syndrome. TREATMENT: many are β-lactam resistant (ΔPBP) --> MRSA; TREAT: with TMP-SMX(sulfonamide) for skin. For serious, treat with Vancomycin & PRP
tetracycline → Tetracycline (Bacteriostatic). Inhibit protein synthesis by preventing attachment of aminoacyl-tRNA (30S).
Use: mycoplasma, chlamydia, rickettsia, borrelia, chronic bronchitis, acne, cholera, syphilis, H. pylori
Tox: GI upset and superinfections, Fanconi's syndrome, photosensitivity, dental enamel dysplasia. Do not take with milk, antacids or iron
Most common causes of osteomyelitis in children → Chylomicron particle shrinks:
Chylomicron is synthesised by intestinal epithelial cells and are scaffolded on apoB-4 and are first drained into lymphatic tissue where they enter the thoracic duct, dump into blood and enter the bloodtsream where they are delivered to the capillary bed surrounding adipose tissue. Lipoprotein lipase breaks down the triglyceride being carried by the chylomicrons into glycerol and fatty acids. The glycerol is sent to the liver, while the fatty acids go to the adipose tissue.
-The lipoprotein lipase is found on the capillary beds (endothelial tissue) around the adipose cells
Adeno, Papilloma, Polyoma,(ssDNA), Hepatitis B → Enterobacteria
blue-white spots in buccal mucosa → targets cell wall.