<完> Fundamentals Grammar Group 3
|tip|| [Verb - intransitive or transitive]|
to give someone a small amount of money in addition to what you owe for a service
* Dont't fotget to ___ the driver.
very sad, worried, or angry about something
* Why are you so _____?
|wave|| [Verb - intransitive or transitive]|
to move your hand to say hello or goodbye or as a signal
* He smiled and ____ed when he saw me.
|modify|| [Verb - transitive] /ˈmɑdɪˌfaɪ/|
to change something slightly, especially in order to improve it or to make it less extreme
* The plan involved ______ing two of the windows.
|independent|| [Adjective] /ˌɪndɪˈpendənt/|
not connected with or joined to anything else
* The equipment has its own ___________ power supply.
|immediately|| [Adverb] /ɪˈmidiətli/|
very quickly and without delay
* When she saw him come in, she decided to leave ___________.
|argue|| [Verb - intransitive] /ˈɑrˌɡju/ |
if people argue, they speak to each other in an angry way because they disagree
* Those girls are always _____ing!
|elderly|| [Adjective] /ˈeldərli/|
an elderly person is old. Many people now think that this word is offensive but it is often used in talking about policies and conditions that affect old people
* An _______ gentleman was standing at the hotel counter.
|admirable|| [Adjective] /ˈædmərəb(ə)l/|
deserving to be admired or respected
* an _________ objective
|suffer|| [Verb - intransitive or transitive] /ˈsʌfər/|
to feel pain in your body or your mind
* Don't worry, the animal won't ______ any pain.
|sail|| [Verb - intransitive or transitive] /seɪl/|
if a boat sails, it moves across the surface of an ocean, lake, river, etc.
* The yacht ____ed into harbor.
|snore|| [Verb - intransitive] /snɔr/|
to breathe noisily while you sleep
|cheer|| [Verb - intransitive or transitive] /tʃɪr/|
to give a loud shout of happiness or approval
* The prince was _____ed by a 10,000-strong audience.
|appropriate|| [Adjective] /əˈproʊpriət/|
suitable or right for a particular situation or purpose
* This isn't the appropriate time to discuss the problem.
|burn down|| [Phrasal verb]|
to destroy a building or something large with fire, or to be destroyed in this way
* The entire house ____ed ____ in 20 minutes.
|an obstetrician|| [Noun - countable] /ˌɑbstəˈtrɪʃ(ə)n/ |
a doctor whose job is to check the health of pregnant women and help with the birth of their children
|a carnivore|| [Noun - countable] /ˈkɑrnɪˌvɔr/|
an animal that eats other animals. An animal that only eats plants is called a herbivore, and an animal that eats flesh and plants is called an omnivore.
|shape|| [Noun - uncountable or countable] /ʃeɪp/|
the outer form of something
* The room forms an L-_____.
|material|| [Noun - UC, C] /məˈtɪriəl/|
* Her dress was made of a thin lacy ________.
|pound|| [Verb - intransitive or transitive] /paʊnd/|
to hit something several times with a lot of force
* I could hear them _____ing on the door.
|an architect|| [Noun - countable] /ˈɑrkɪˌtekt/|
someone whose job is to design buildings
|a consonant|| [Noun - countable] /ˈkɑnsənənt/ |
a speech sound made by stopping all or some of the air going out of your mouth
|a vowel|| [Noun - countable] /ˈvaʊəl/|
a sound that you make when you speak without closing your mouth or throat
|fill in|| [Phrasal verb - transitive]|
to add information such as your name or address in the empty spaces on an official document
* Please ____ __ your name and address in the space provided.
|regular|| [Adjective] /ˈreɡjələr/|
used for describing people who go somewhere or do something frequently
* Jason was a _______ customer in the store.