Intercultural Communications - Language2410
|Ethnocentrism|| you consider all cultures but your own as bad|
- evaluating other peoples and cultures according to the standards of one's own culture
→ leads to seeing a big difference between "us" and "them".
|Stereotypes|| - passed on from generation to generation.|
- are rigid images about other people.
- are always negative.
- influence our perception.
- don't change.
|Linear time||things happen one after another [Time is sequential]|
|Monochronic time||Time is seen as being divided into fixed elements that can be organized, quantified and scheduled.|
- schedules are very important
- time must be spent productively
- time is a system for ordering life and setting priorities
- punctuality is a virtue
- things need to be finished before starting a new activity
- monochronic time stress completion
|Non-linear time||Time is a set of several synchronous events occurring at once [Synchronic]|
|Polychronic time||Time can't be segmented into objective units, exact times aren't meaningful.|
- simultaneous occurrence of many things at once
- time is flexible
- relationships are important
- interruptions are common
- things don't need to be finished before starting a new activity
- time is always an approximation
- polychronic time stress involvement
|Proxemics||the study of the cultural use of space, for example the comfortable interaction distance between two people.|
|Kinesics||studies how we communicate through body movements, including facial expressions, gestures, postures and stance|
|Emoticons||pictorial representations of facial expression using punctuation marks and letters, usually written to express a person's mood|