1 a locking pin inserted crosswise (as through the end of an axle or shaft)
2 one that serves to hold together parts or elements that exist or function as a unit
1. a stone for whetting edge tools
2.: to sharpen or smooth with a whetstone
3. to make more acute, intense, or effective : whet
refusing or likely to refuse to proceed, act, or function as directed or expected
1 an introductory step
2 energy or aptitude displayed in initiation of action : enterprise
3 a: the right to initiate legislative action b: a procedure enabling a specified number of voters by petition to propose a law and secure its submission to the electorate or to the legislature for approval
1 to undergo (as a hardship) especially without giving in : suffer
2 to regard with acceptance or tolerance
1 to continue in the same state : last
2 to remain firm under suffering or misfortune without yielding
careful in the management of money or resources
a naturally occurring optical phenomenon in which light rays are bent to produce a displaced image of distant objects or the sky.
1 to solicit or entreat especially with importunity
2 to seek to gain or bring about
1 archaic: gentle, courteous
2 a: suave, urbane
b: lighthearted, nonchalant
1 a person born, residing, or holding citizenship in the same country as another
2 companion, colleague, classmate
1 a: to throw forward : hurl b: to release, catapult, or send off (a self-propelled object)
2 a: to set (a boat or ship) afloat b: to give (a person) a start c (1): to put into operation or set in motion : initiate, introduce (2): to get off to a good start d: to load into a computer's memory and run
1 a: to spring forward : take off b: to enter energetically
2 aarchaic: to slide down the ways b: to make a start
1 a large boat that operates from a ship
2 a small motorboat that is open or that has the forepart of the hull covered
1 enduring injury with patience and without resentment : mild
2 deficient in spirit and courage : submissive
3 not violent or strong : moderate
1 a: the quality or state of being obstinate : stubbornness b: the quality or state of being difficult to remedy, relieve, or subdue
2 an instance of being obstinate
1 any of various large usually entirely glossy black passerine birds (family Corvidae and especially genus Corvus)
2 capitalized a: a member of an American Indian people of the region between the Platte and Yellowstone rivers b: the language of the Crow people
3 capitalized: corvus
4 humble pie
1 to make the loud shrill sound characteristic of a cock
2 to utter a sound expressive of pleasure
3 to exult gloatingly especially over the distress of another b: to brag exultantly or blatantly
1 biting and caustic in thought, manner, or style : incisive
2 acting as a mordant
3 burning, pungent
1 a chemical that fixes a dye in or on a substance by combining with the dye to form an insoluble compound
2 a corroding substance used in etching
1 abandoned especially by the owner or occupant; also: run-down
2 lacking a sense of duty : negligent
1 a: something voluntarily abandoned; especially: a ship abandoned on the high seas b: a tract of land left dry by receding water
2 a destitute homeless social misfit : vagrant, bum
1 to give or concede reluctantly or with displeasure
2 to look upon with disapproval
1 able to pay all legal debts
2 that dissolves or can dissolve
1 a usually liquid substance capable of dissolving or dispersing one or more other substances
2 something that provides a solution
3 something that eliminates or attenuates something especially unwanted
1 the wedge-shaped piece at the crown of an arch that locks the other pieces in place — see arch illustration
2 something on which associated things depend for support
3 a species of plant or animal that produces a major impact (as by predation) on its ecosystem and is considered essential to maintaining optimum ecosystem function or structure
to break apart or in two : separate by or as if by violence or by intervening time or space
to become parted, disunited, or severed
1 exhibiting or marked by parsimony; especially: frugal to the point of stinginess
2 sparing, restrained
2 a rude or insensitive person
to mourn aloud : wail
1 to express sorrow, mourning, or regret for often demonstratively : mourn
2 to regret strongly
1 a crying out in grief : wailing
2 dirge, elegy
: fearless, undaunted
a person who would save, gain, or extort money by any means : miser
1.Chemistry . a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.
2.something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected.
3. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change: His imprisonment by the government served as the catalyst that helped transform social unrest into revolution.
4. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.
1. to abstain from an impulse to say or do something
2.a phrase or verse recurring at intervals in a song or poem, especially at the end of each stanza; chorus.
a.a musical setting for the refrain of a poem.
c.the principal, recurrent section of a rondo.
1.of, pertaining to, or affected with laziness; drowsy; sluggish.
2. lazy, indolent, torpid.
1.prophecy, prediction of events, noun;
2. the art, ability, or practice of foretelling events or interpreting omens
1. to coax or influence by gentle flattery; cajole
2.to use flattery or cajolery.
1.(of the elements) as if showing violent anger
1. a funeral song or tune, or one expressing mourning in commemoration of the dead.
2. any composition resembling such a song or tune in character, as a poem of lament for the dead or solemn, mournful music
3. a mournful sound
4. Ecclesiastical . the office of the dead, or the funeral service as sung.
1. a stick with a pointed or electrically charged end, for driving cattle, oxen, etc.; prod.
2. anything that pricks or wounds like such a stick.
3. something that encourages, urges, or drives; a stimulus.
4. to prick or drive with
1.thin, tenuous, or rarefied, as a fluid or an odor.
2. fine or delicate in meaning or intent; difficult to perceive or understand
3. delicate or faint and mysterious
4. requiring mental acuteness, penetration, or discernment
5. characterized by mental acuteness or penetration
1. to cause or allow (a building, automobile, etc.) to fall into a state of disrepair, as by misuse or neglect (often used passively)
2. Archaic . to squander; waste.
3. to fall into ruin or decay.
1. to move or go forward or onward, especially after stopping.
2. to carry on or continue any action or process.
3. to go on to do something.
4. to continue one's discourse.
5. Law .
a. to begin and carry on a legal action.
b. to take legal action (usually followed by against ).
1. sharp or biting to the taste or smell; bitterly pungent; irritating to the eyes, nose, etc.
2. extremely or sharply stinging or bitter; exceedingly caustic
a feeling or impression that something is about to happen, especially something evil; foreboding.
to state or represent less strongly or strikingly than the facts would bear out; set forth in restrained, moderate, or weak terms:
recklessly or thoughtlessly bold; foolishly rash or venturesome.
1. a visible incorporeal spirit, especially one of a terrifying nature; ghost; phantom; apparition.
2. some object or source of terror or dread
1. to eat or wear away gradually as if by gnawing, especially by chemical action.
2. to impair; deteriorate:
1. having the power of producing; generative; creative
2. producing readily or abundantly; fertile
3.causing; bringing about (usually followed by of ): conditions productive of crime and sin.
4. Economics . producing or tending to produce goods and services having exchange value.
5. Grammar . (of derivational affixes or patterns) readily used in forming new words, as the suffix -ness.
a failure, defect, or deficiency in conduct, condition, thought, ability, etc.
verb (used with object)
1. to make young again; restore to youthful vigor, appearance, etc
2. to restore to a former state; make fresh or new again:
3. Physical Geography .
a. to renew the activity, erosive power, etc., of (a stream) by uplift or by removal of a barrier in the stream bed.
b. to impress again the characters of youthful topography on (a region)
verb (used without object)
4. to revive.
1. excessively proud of or concerned about one's own appearance, qualities, achievements, etc.; conceited
2. proceeding from or showing personal vanity
3. ineffectual or unsuccessful; futile
4. without real significance, value, or importance; baseless or worthless
5. Archaic . senseless or foolish.
a. without effect or avail; to no purpose
b. in an improper or irreverent manner
1. a complimentary performance of vocal or instrumental music in the open air at night, as by a lover under the window of his lady.
2. a piece of music suitable for such performance.
3. serenata ( def. 2 ) .
4.to entertain with or perform
1.to discourage or restrain from acting or proceeding
2.to prevent; check; arrest
1. lacking in vigor or vitality; slack or slow
2. lacking in spirit or interest; listless; indifferent.
3. drooping or flagging from weakness or fatigue; faint.
1. a physical weakness or ailment
2. quality or state of being infirm; lack of strength.
3. a moral weakness or failing.
1.a mark, trace, or visible evidence of something that is no longer present or in existence
2.a surviving evidence or remainder of some condition, practice, etc.
3.a very slight trace or amount of something
4.Biology. a degenerate or imperfectly developed organ or structure that has little or no utility, but that in an earlier stage of the individual or in preceding evolutionary forms of the organism performed a useful function.
1.something that holds parts together or in place, as a clasp or clamp.
2.anything that imparts rigidity or steadiness.
3.Also called bitbrace, bitstock. Machinery. a device for holding and turning a bit for boring or drilling.
4.Building Trades. a piece of timber, metal, etc., for supporting or positioning another piece or portion of a framework.
5.Nautical. (on a square-rigged ship) a rope by which a yard is swung about and secured horizontally.
1.pleasing in appearance; attractive; fair
2.proper; seemly; becoming
1.waste matter; refuse.
2.Metallurgy. a waste product taken off molten metal during smelting, essentially metallic in character.
3.British. coal of little value.
verb (used with object)
1.to poke, stir up, and feed (a fire).
2.to tend the fire of (a furnace, especially one used with a boiler to generate steam for an engine); supply with fuel.
1.subject to, led by, or indicative of caprice or whim; erratic
2.Obsolete. fanciful or witty.
verb (used with object)
1.to feed or fill to satiety; sate
2.to feed or fill to excess; cloy.
3.to flood (the market) with a particular item or service so that the supply greatly exceeds the demand.
4.to choke up
verb (used with object)
1.to evade (work, duty, responsibility, etc.).
1.firmly resolved or determined; set in purpose or opinion.
2.characterized by firmness and determination, as the temper, spirit, actions, etc.
1.offense; annoyance; displeasure
2.the slightest indication or vaguest feeling of suspicion, doubt, hostility, or the like.
3.leaves that afford shade, as the foliage of trees.
4.shade or shadows, as cast by trees.
5.a shadowy appearance or semblance of something.
verb (used with object)
1.to urge, advise, or caution earnestly; admonish urgently.
careless; thoughtless; unmindful
1.a piece of burning wood or other material.
2.a person who kindles strife or encourages unrest; an agitator; troublemaker.
verb (used with object)
1.to allay (thirst, desire, wrath, etc.) by satisfying.
2.to cool or refresh
3.to make less active, vigorous, intense, etc.
4.to cause disintegration of (lime) by treatment with water.
5.Obsolete. to make loose or less tense; slacken.
1.with great care or caution; warily.
1.the amount by which a sum of money falls short of the required amount.
2.the amount by which expenditures or liabilities exceed income or assets.
3.a lack or shortage
4.a disadvantage, impairment, or handicap
5.a loss, as in the operation of a business.
verb (used with object),
to intimidate by overbearing looks or words; bully:
1.lacking in resourcefulness; inefficient; lazy.
2.lacking in incentive, ambition, or aspiration.
a longing; craving.
verb (used with object)
1.to face in hostility or defiance; oppose:
2.to present for acknowledgment, contradiction, etc.; set face to face:
3.to stand or come in front of; stand or meet facing:
4.to be in one's way
5.to bring together for examination or comparison.
1.liberal in bestowing gifts, favors, or bounties; munificent; generous.
1.a short, thick stick used as a weapon; club.
1.the part of a gown, dress, slip, or coat that extends downward from the waist.
2.a one-piece garment extending downward from the waist and not joined between the legs, worn especially by women and girls.
3.some part resembling or suggesting the dress of a garment, as the flared lip of a bell or a protective and ornamental cloth strip covering the legs of furniture.
4.a small leather flap on each side of a saddle, covering the metal bar from which the stirrup hangs.
a.baseboard (def. 1).
b.apron (def. 13).
1.pertaining to or constituting a remainder; remaining; leftover.
a.formed by the subtraction of one quantity from another: a residual quantity.
b.(of a set) having complement of first category.
3.of or pertaining to the payment of remainders.
4.Medicine/Medical. remaining in an organ or part following normal discharge or expulsion
5.Geology. remaining after the soluble elements have been dissolved
6. a remainder.
7. something that remains to discomfort or disable a person following an illness, injury, operation, or the like; disability
a.the deviation of one of a set of observations or numbers from the mean of the set.
b.the deviation between an empirical and a theoretical result.
9.Navigation. a slight deviation of an adjusted compass on a certain heading.
10. additional pay given to a performer for reruns, repeated use of a film, radio or TV commercial, or the like, in which the performer appears.
1.a tube, cord, or the like, filled or saturated with combustible matter, for igniting an explosive.