5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- _______ is (are) associated with 85% of the cases of threatened and endangered species.
B. Habitat loss
E. Exotic species
- Which of the following statements about biological diversity is NOT true?
A. Scientists estimate that 10-50 million species exist.
B. Biodiversity is described in terms of genetic, community, and landscape diversity.
C. Biodiversity refers to the variety of life on Earth.
D. Biodiversity is evenly distributed throughout the biosphere.
E. Many species that are in danger of extinction have not been identified and studied.
- A _______ population survives in unfavorable conditions, has a birthrate that barely equals the death rate, and receives new members from other fragmented populations.
- The science of collecting, analyzing, and making readily available biological information is
A. habitat restoration planning.
B. landscape preservation.
D. a population viability analysis.
- Preliminary studies indicate that biodiversity maximizes resource acquisition and retention within an ecosystem.
- a B. sink
- b D. Biodiversity is evenly distributed throughout the biosphere.
- c C. bioinformatics.
- d B. Habitat loss
- e True
5 Multiple choice questions
- E. All of these are examples of introduced alien species.
- B. all animals have the same rights or legal status as humans.
- C. negative, since a rise of a few degrees will cause them to bleach and become lifeless.
- D. contributions to biogeochemical cycles.
5 True/False questions
The use of wheat, corn, rice and other crops derived from wild ancestors is an example of the _______ value of biodiversity.
C. consumptive use
D. climatic regulation → A. agricultural
When habitats are fragmented so that populations are subdivided into several small and isolated groups, they form a
A. sink population.
B. biodiversity hotspot.
C. keystone species.
D. source population.
E. metapopulation. → E. metapopulation.
Sustainable development is a pattern of resource use that attempts to preserve the environment while meeting the needs of humans in the present and future.
True False → B. Keystone species are defined as a population subdivided into several small isolated populations due to habitat fragmentation.
Landscape preservation is often intended for one particular organism but may benefit others.
True False → B. sink
Which of the following statements about keystone species is NOT true?
A. The extinction of keystone species can lead to other extinctions and a loss of biodiversity.
B. Keystone species are defined as a population subdivided into several small isolated populations due to habitat fragmentation.
C. Examples of keystone species are grizzly bears, bats, beavers and alligators.
D. The numbers of individuals in the keystone species in their respective community may or may not be excessively high. → A. Tropical rain forest land contains rich soil that is desirable as farmland.