Pope Gregory "The Great"
- Created a system to explain musical scales; gave notes names . . . A,B,C . . .
- Gregorian Chant
Guido of Arezzo
Devised sensing do,re,mi,fa,so,la,ti,do... also developed a new music notation system using a staff.
Mass consisted of great choral and orchestral works.
Giovanni da Palestrina
Wrote songs for voices along to be sung in unison, A capella.
A piece for at least 3 voices usually without accompaniment.
One of the inventors of opera.
Mid 1600's- mid 1700's, highly emotional.
1678-1741, Baroque, Italian.
-"The Red Priest" named for his red hair.
-Taught violin at the Mercy Hospital for young female orphans.
-Wrote Four Seasons.
George Frideric Handel
1685-1759, Baroque, German.
- Studied in Italy, composed in England.
- Wrote Messiah, an oratorios of solo singers, chorus and orchestra.
-Wrote Water Music to perform on the barge as Kind George floated up the Thames River.
Johann Sebastian Bach
1685-1750, Baroque, German.
- Organist...wrote at least 215 cantatas for the church.
- Used counterpoint which is 2,3, or 4 melodic lines played at the same time.
mid 1700's- mid 1800's
1732-1809, Classical Period, Austrian.
- Court Musician and for 30 years served Prince Esterhazy where he was able to standardize structures of symphony and string quartet, earning him the name 'Father of Symphony'.
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
1756-1791, Classical Period, Austrian.
- Child prodigy; composed by the age of 4; toured as a child.
-Wrotte the opera Don Giovani.
-Studied under Papa Haydn.
Ludwig can Beethoven
1770-1827, Classical Period, German.
- Studied under Haydn
-wrote Eroica (Meaning heroic), a symphony evoking the life of a hero; originally inspired by Napoleon Bonaparte until he proclaimed himself emperor which made the composer fly into a rage.
1797-1828, Classical Period, Austrian.
- Wrote Lieder, which are songs to be sung by one voice accompanied by piano.
1809-1847, Classical Period.
- Rediscovered Bach
- Wrote music for Shakespeare's Midsummer's Night Dream
Inspired by nature, feeling, emotion and nursing one's inner child.
Carl Maria von Weber
1786-1826, Romantic era.
- 1st conductor to draw up a standard seating chart for orchestra.
1810-1849, Romantic era, Polish.
-changed what was possible on the piano
1810-1856, Romantic era, German.
- Wrote mostly piano pieces
- Marries Clara, also a talented pianist.
- Went Insane.
1833-1897, Romantic Era, German.
- Grew up playing in taverns and brothels.
-Was close friends with Clara Schuman ;)
- Self critical so that he didn't publish his first symphony until he was 43
1813-1883, Romantic era, German.
- Wrote opera and developed in a musical theme for each character.
The last part of the 19th century.
-Composers of each country threw off bonds of convention and asserted the flavors of their own native vountries.
-Music became the symbol of national pride.
1841-1904, Nationalist, Bohemian.
- Childhood was filled with country fold music.
- Because of his national pride he reluctantly took over the National Conservatory of Music in NY.