5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- children of authoritative parents are:
- family dynamics on parenthood
- Maternal employment has little impact on childrens development
- effects of childcare on development
- Level of education related to parental values
- a life's golden age is when the kids are too old to need babysitters and too young to borrow the family car. THe best way to keep kids at home is to give it a loving atmosphere- and hide the keys to the car. Oh, to be only half as wonderful as my child thought I was when he was small, and half as stupid as my teenager now things I am. Avenge yourself- live long enough to be a problem to your children
- b competent(social and acedemic). self-assured, self-reliant. popular with peers. exhibit control over their behavior. low in antisocial behavior and drug use
- c highly educated parents view kids as active participants in learning
- d big issue growing--more and more mothers are working outside the home; in 1995: 45% infants under 1 year and 78% of 4 year olds were in day care. 21% receive care from relative, 18% from non-relatives, 31% in day care. Both ways argues
- e adequate supervision matter, however long hours can have negative impact on infants' cognitive development if mom returns to work before baby is 9 months old
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- in 1996, about 6% of kids lived with a stepparent(80% of which were stepfathers). Entry of stepparent into family can be very stressful for children; reassess their position in family, wonder if mom will be happier, have to balance acceptance of stepparent while maintaing relationship with biological parent
- family structure and familial relationships have clear impact on child development. family dynamics are central and can overcome many potentially negative factors. Changing family structures do not appear to undermine what was traditionally though to be ideal ways to raise children
- parent-child interactions is the idea that parents affect children's characteristics, and vice versa. over time, this effect reinforces and perpetuates each party's behavior
- low SES value conformity in children, high SES value independence and autonomy.
- distress, may cause insecurity
5 True/False Questions
Maternal employment and childcare → maternal employment in US increased from 17% to 72% between 1955 and 1988.
high socioeconomic status → more likely authoritarian.
Baumrind(1973) 4 parenting styles: → varies greatly from family to family, and even from child to child in a given family
impact on self regulation and social behavior (NOT ON STUDY GUIDE) → day care for many hours a day and many different caregivers related to more problem behaviors. Risk of problem behavior increases with # of hours spent, especially in center care
stepfathers (NOT ON STUDY GUIDE) → difficult position--expected to enforce discipline and run household, causing conflict between step moms and kids. very little known about step moms relationship with stepchildren--stepmoms are rare